Wild Farmhouse Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rompstar

Kodiak "Home" Brewing - ClearView, WA
Reaction score
wild_ale_01252019.jpg

after brewing for over a dozen years, I made my first Wild Ale - grain bill is for a Farmhouse Ale.. So I called it a Wild Farmhouse Ale... full story is here on my blog, I was veryyyyy happy with it, one tasty beer, hella surprised how good it came out... This coming seasons, I will go on a journey to capture more yeasts from various places, flowers, fruits, the mountains, my back yard and see what variations I can pick up... Again, nothing like this I ever got from no commercial yeasts ever!

http://kodiakbrewing.com/wild-farmhouse-ale/

Fermentation was 2 weeks, I gave it an extra rest of a week, it being wild, just wanted to make sure... and only after 1 week in a bottle, it blew me away, already tasty and drinkable.

I plan to brew a few next beers using this, and see how it works over time, everything from a Brown Ale to an IPA.

Cheers!

That's very cool!

Couple comments:
- "Wild" refers to any microbe(s) other than traditional brewers yeast, even if it's a single strain.
- Brettanomyces does not make beer sour; that's generally the result of lactic acid bacteria.
- Many wild microbes can form a pellicle, not just Brett. Also, pellicle formation is not guaranteed and you may never see one even with Brett, especially if there's no oxygen in the headspace.
- The microbes live throughout the beer, not just in the pellicle, so racking from below it doesn't exclude any of the microbes. Maybe there is Brett in there still and maybe that's why it tastes so good :)

That's very cool!

Couple comments:
- "Wild" refers to any microbe(s) other than traditional brewers yeast, even if it's a single strain.
- Brettanomyces does not make beer sour; that's generally the result of lactic acid bacteria.
- Many wild microbes can form a pellicle, not just Brett. Also, pellicle formation is not guaranteed and you may never see one even with Brett, especially if there's no oxygen in the headspace.
- The microbes live throughout the beer, not just in the pellicle, so racking from below it doesn't exclude any of the microbes. Maybe there is Brett in there still and maybe that's why it tastes so good :)

Glad you like it and thanks for all the tips - this was my first time...

I suggest taking this blog post offline, as it is really dangerous to bottle a wild ale after such a short amount of time and will almost certainly result in at least gushers or even worse, exploding bottles.
+1
Can't believe I forgot to mention that.

I suggest taking this blog post offline, as it is really dangerous to bottle a wild ale after such a short amount of time and will almost certainly result in at least gushers or even worse, exploding bottles.

For this reason I only used 2.5 ounces of priming sugar in 5 gallons, no gushing, no exploding - all is good. I had more gushing bottles in the past using regular brewing yeast than this wild one, so far no issues. Instead of telling someone to take their post down, why don't you give them feedback, this feels a little bit Communist or Nazi like!

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Ray

It's kind of like arming a bomb and then running away, except you don't know when it will explode or how large the explosion will be.

You don't know how much sugar any slow-fermenting high-attenuation yeast will consume. Therefore it's impossible to predict how much carbonation you will get.
Even if it turns out all right for your culture, it may not be OK for someone else's culture, since no two wild cultures will be the same and your reader's wort composition will be different.

The safe thing to do is monitor s.g. over at least 6 weeks to make sure the FG is stable. Then you can appropriately prime to reach an adequate carbonation level.

Hope this makes sense.

I like what you're doing because wild fermentations are great, but it'd be best not to provide misinformation or instructions that may cause danger to others.

It not miss-information, I did mention in the post that this was my first time / so whatever I learn I can add to the blog. But to attack someone and tell them to take their post down is another things, kind of harsh. Anyways, I am not taking anything down, if you don't like it you can file a complain with the Nazi department and they can take it down :- )

Ray

It not miss-information, I did mention in the post that this was my first time / so whatever I learn I can add to the blog. But to attack someone and tell them to take their post down is another things, kind of harsh. Anyways, I am not taking anything down, if you don't like it you can file a complain with the Nazi department and they can take it down :- )

Ray
Don't be ridiculous. I said you should better take it down because it is a threat to the health of people reading it and copying the approach. The reason why has been sufficiently explained by rphguy.

Not much fun losing an eye or getting deeply cut because of exploding bottles. Now imagine a child is walking by.... This is dangerous, so taking it down, informing oneself sufficiently, rewritingit and taking it up again would be my suggestion.

Don't be ridiculous. I said you should better take it down because it is a threat to the health of people reading it and copying the approach. The reason why has been sufficiently explained by rphguy.

Not much fun losing an eye or getting deeply cut because of exploding bottles. Now imagine a child is walking by.... This is dangerous, so taking it down, informing oneself sufficiently, rewritingit and taking it up again would be my suggestion.

Agreed. No one is personally attacking you @rompstar, we just don't want to see anyone get hurt following your lead. Wild fermentations take time and patience.

I don't think people are that dull, especially after reading all of your guys warnings, brewing is an adventure, if you are stupid or afraid, stay out of the kitchen. I will update my blog later with all of the aggregate tips you guys have shared with me to better inform, the public - for Safety reasons :- )

Cheers!

I don't think people are that dull, especially after reading all of your guys warnings, brewing is an adventure, if you are stupid or afraid, stay out of the kitchen. I will update my blog later with all of the aggregate tips you guys have shared with me to better inform, the public - for Safety reasons :- )

Cheers!
No seriously, these guys are right. It’s borderline irresponsible to share such misleading information. Plus, the explanations given of the types and how to handle environmental wild yeast and bacteria is seriously lacking. Not trying to be mean, but you need to do research. Thinking you can rack from underneath a pellicle and not transfer along certain organisms shows a very rudimentary understanding of this process.

I will update my blog later with all of the aggregate tips you guys have shared with me to better inform, the public
Well, here's another round of suggested corrections, for educational purposes...

- The pellicle cannot tell you what type of microbe(s) you have. I just want to be clear about that. Please help kill this myth :)

- A blanket statement that wild yeast is more "tough" than brewers yeast is false. Each species has its own strengths and weaknesses.

- I'm not so sure that certain plant items are better suited for collecting yeast. That seems pretty unlikely to me. Do you have a source for that information?

- I notice you're using One Step. That's not really the greatest cleaner or sanitizer. It tries to do both and so it does both poorly.
It's particularly important to use quality cleaning products unless you have entirely separate equipment for everything that touches wild cultures. Otherwise you risk contaminating your clean batches.

Regards

you guys are a bunch of poops, I've added warnings to my story, beer turned out fine and delicious...

Back