WiFi connected Thermostat == Awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
I know a lot of you on HBT are DIY and geek types of all varaties so I thought I would share my newest geeky addition to my house. I've been looking into home automation stuff for a while now but it always seemed too expensive for what I get out of it. I came across this thermostat recently that is just what I've been looking for and it's super "cheap" - most like it are around $300, this is $99 marketed through Home Depot. You can program it via a web interface, change the temperature via a ipad/iphone app even.

They are releasing more info on their API soon but I've figured out enough to be able to write a script to know when the heat is on/off and what the current temperature is at the device. I've added this data to the 1wire sensors I have scattered through the house and starting to create some sweet graphs... Not sure how I could use this to help brew beer but i'll think of something

temps.png

i wasn't clear about that... this graph and all the other rooms are my doing, nothing to do with the thermostat. that is with 1wire temperature sensors that are mentioned in the DIY forum every once in a while.

Awesome. Is the i-phone app complete? Or would I have to write it myself?

Similar subject, have you seen any humidistats that are wifi enabled and under a million $s? My issue is that I need to control temperature and humidity down at my curling club. I've have separate furnace with thermostat and desiccant with humidistat. I've locked them so meddling fingers can't change them on me but as we have experimented, we have found that drastic changes in outdoor weather necessitate drastic changes to the setpoints. (Such as a high of 46F on New year's eve dropping to 4F on New Years day.) Instead of going to the club every day to make those changes, a web enabled device would be awesome. Like you pointed out, I've never seen anything within the budget of the club. This is great. Thanks for posting.

Bingo...that CT80 is what I've been looking for and at only $200. Reading the directions, it could even be set up to run your home's A/C for dehumidification while simultaneously running the furnace to heat the house back up. The ultimate in comfort and energy INefficiency.

Bingo...that CT80 is what I've been looking for and at only $200. Reading the directions, it could even be set up to run your home's A/C for dehumidification while simultaneously running the furnace to heat the house back up. The ultimate in comfort and energy INefficiency.

depending on ambient conditions its not a good idea to run your a.c. unless you have some sort of low ambient controls on the unit it can and will cause other issues such as compressor damage or a frozen evap coil that will melt and get water on your electronics or blower motor

Looks cool. I may have to invest in one of these and do an integration to my HAI OmniPro system.

Is the API fully documented now?

No not yet, it's just what we've found so far via trial and error. They keep saying docs are coming soon in Jan.

What is the ENERGY GRID condition monitor? Will that actually link to your real time pricing program? That would be flippin awesome.

That CT80 looks sweet. I don't have a multi-stage furnace but the humidistat and control and the other features are pretty kick-***.

Back