Why won't my white wine ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
I'm making a white wine from a bronze muscadine. I have all the juice in a carboy, and it will not ferment. No action at all, the pulp in the juice has settled to the bottom and its clearing up from no agitation.
I've repitched the yeast and still nothing?
" S.G. 1.086", "Pot Alc,11.5","T.A.7.0". This hasnt changed from the beginning. I'm using the same yeast in my red muscadines and its working away.
I even started the yeast working a bit with a little sugar before repitching. The airlock is sucking backwards again, only a little though. I would surely hate to let all this good juice waste or spoil on me. Like i said earlier, the red is doing fine, maybe i should get a cup of that juice and start it in the white? I will learn more on starter cultures soon, but for now what do i do???
Please , any advice will be great. skip in ar...

Temp probably isn't an issue. Hhhhmmm what about the steps you did for sanitation care to tell us those? Maybe there is a way that you are throwing the yeast into an environment in which they are being killed or already spaced out of. You say you started the yeast working a bit before you repitched? Well if they started working then you yeast weren't dead from the get go (unless the first pitched yeast was dead). I believe we might need a hippie van and a group of stoned weirdos with a dog to help solve this mystery :drunk: Oh yeah, how long has it been sitting? I've noticed that the brewing gods like to mess with my mind a bit, perhaps they thought it would be fun to pick on someone else this time and are playing with your lag time.

You get them brew gods outta here David!!! lol, just funnin. Its only been about a week, but im used to 1 to 3 days to my bubblin action. Temp stays around 73 degrees, it's all indoors. I use a 1 step no rinse sanitizer in all of my cleaning before brewing, even with my beer bottles so i dont have to keep different ones on hand. My nearest brew supply is about 80 miles away. Now im out of yeast.
Actually i started my red the same day, and its justa perkin. Just afraid of spoilage. This hasnt ever happened to me before. lol. I hope thats the only time i use that line,lol.
I' m not sure here, if nothing by wednesday, im throwing a cup of red must on it.
Hey, i do have a dog, and i know alot of stoned weirdos. Hmmmmm where can i get that van. lol. thanks for your reply david.
skip in ar...

I'm not an expert on wine( or now that I think of it Anything ) but I'd pitch a bit of the red wine on the white and wait a day or two. Let us know what happens. Goood luck!!!

I got home last nite and couldnt take it anymore. White was sitting there settling all to the bottom, NO ACTION. I pulled about 2 cups of must out of my red batch, hulls and juice. Didnt use alot , i didnt want to turn this red in color, but would be alot better than throwing this out.
Poured this right on top, put 2 honey browns in the freezer, showered, logged on to homebrew, put those 2 honeys away and then there was action in the carboy. Just like that.
This morning about 90% of the cake, yeast, pulp, and such had lifted off of the bottom of the carboy and was bubbling. Not vigorously but bubbling,lol. So we will see where this leads me, so far so good. Wife said i smiled, she lies alot.lol.
be back soon, skip in ar...

Back