Why won't my Krausens go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotDrunkThenLost

Reaction score
So you can skip the rest of the post, 5 brews 4 undying krausen am I doing something daft?

Being a statto by trade I appreciate the power of the number of tests is low so I'm still hopeful that it's just youthful (noob) impatience.

Out of the 5 batches I've brewed so far only 1 batch has had a Krausen fall. I'm a noob so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm doing something daft. I've done a mix of AG BIAB and extract batches but only just getting used to temp control and making starters.

Batch 1 - 2 weeks primary (blonde ale at FG still had krausen) racked from under it. Yeast was WLP002

Batch 2 - 2 weeks primary (blonde ale at FG still had krausen) racked from under it. Safale 04 (I think, the UK one out of 04 and 05)

Batch 3 - (Hobgolin clone) 2 weeks primary the one time krausen went, I actually went to get the krausen off after a few days as I was aiming for an real ale style. WLP002.

Batch 4 - (main reason I'm annoyed) a blonde like batches 1 and 2, this one had better temp control. 2 weeks in primary still had krausen, started shaking/swirling it to try and get rid of krausen checking for a few days (opening the lid and looking) after 3 weeks in primary milky looking film on the top of the krausen and chemical smell I'm assuming there was an infection from looking at the krausen and it tasting fine at 2 weeks and crap after 3). WLP005

Batch 5 - Goose Island nut brown clone - Better temp control (and my first starter). 2 weeks in primary, guess what, I brewed this one in glass and after 2 weeks krausen still sat there, no matter how many times I flipped it off it did the same back (also slightly worried about that) and still didn't go away, racked it after 2 weeks rather than having the same hassle as number 4) WYEAST 1056

I suspect that I've just been unlucky but there's no harm in checking.

why are you concerned about your krausen? I rarely secondary but when I do it Im not concerned about the krasuen Im just trying to avoid the trub. At two weeks you beer is most likely not completely fermented..

Is two weeks your longest fermentation to date? Especially early on, it's generally better to try to go closer to a month in primary (until you have a pretty solid grasp of what's going on). How are your beers tasting?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All Batches except 3 (but that was intentional) were at FG before anything was done with them.

For batches 1 and 2 they went into secondary for 2 weeks after checking that FG was reached. They we both 4.5% ABV - IMO they could have been better but both experimental batches and fermented too high temp

Batch 3 went into 2 polypins for a few weeks and tasted fine.

Batch 4 was 5% 3 weeks in primary at the end but tastes pretty rough.

Batch 5 I bottled after 2 weeks after a bit of paranoia after batch 4 but tasted good at bottling.

How do you know they were at FG? It's not a number, it's how the process develops. If the beer is still fermenting, it's not at FG, no matter what the number is.

Most likely, you just need a little more patience.

Cheers!

You have a good start at brewing beer. Leave your next beer in the primary for four weeks. Don't use a secondary no matter what the recipe says. Look up the optimum fermentation range for the yeast your are using. Rehydrate dry yeast before pitching if you use dry yeast for the next brew. Make a starter for liquid yeast using a starter calculator if you use liquid yeast. Aerate the wort before pitching the yeast. Take your first hydrometer reading for specific gravity after two weeks. Take the second reading at the end of three weeks. If the readings are the same the beer has reached FG.
Rack to the bottling bucket without picking up the trub and bottle.

Really as simple as that. After three weeks of bottle conditioning at 70° to 75°F, chill a few for several days and enjoy.

How do you know they were at FG? It's not a number, it's how the process develops. If the beer is still fermenting, it's not at FG, no matter what the number is.

Cheers!

By taking gravity readings several days apart, advice I've seen on here, is that bad advice?

Thanks Flars, I guess I was too eager to get batches 1,2 and 4 out of the fermenter as I was thinking that light hoppy beers would be at their peak sooner. Batch 5 out of the primary was based on nervousness after batch 4 picked up some funkiness.

Batch 6 will probably be another hobgoblin clone so several weeks in primary should be quite easy, especially if I can find something to put in the other fermenter at the same time.

By taking gravity readings several days apart, advice I've seen on here, is that bad advice?

If your final gravity is stable over a few samples then you are good to go. Of course that is assuming you are in the right range and don't have a stuck fermentation... Sounds like it is working out great for you. I second skipping the secondary and just using a primary.

For what it's worth, I have had about 10 of my first 15 or so batches so far leave a stiff krausen on top after fermentation. There was no waiting it out, even after a month. They had just turned stiff like a sponge. I just punched through with the siphon and the beers were very clear beneath. No problem.

I have since started letting the wort sit for 15 minutes or so after chilled to pitching temperature and then siphoned carefully to the fermenter bucket to avoid as much of the hop and grain particles as possible. It has worked, so I think that the stiff krausen cases are the particulate mess that rises into the krausen and then dries out on top at the end of fermentation. I think it is pretty standard to avoid pouring all of the kettle sludge into the fermenter...something I had not originally been doing.

Also, there is a product called Whirlfloc that help the particulate to drop to the bottom of the kettle after the boil. Have never used it but it gets good reviews.

The infection you had - well it happens....maybe the swirling caused some bubbler water to drop into the bucket....dunno.

Latest posts

Back