why wheat yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
My initial thought was that, like any other yeast strain, wheat beer yeasts were cultured and domesticated because they produced desirable flavors. Also, I understand that in some cases the yeast defines the style. BUT do wheat beer yeasts do things with the wheat malt that your classic ale yeasts don't? Maybe some of you make wheat beers using typical ale yeasts. Any input?

loftybrewer said:
My initial thought was that, like any other yeast strain, wheat beer yeasts were cultured and domesticated because they produced desirable flavors. Also, I understand that in some cases the yeast defines the style. BUT do wheat beer yeasts do things with the wheat malt that your classic ale yeasts don't? Maybe some of you make wheat beers using typical ale yeasts. Any input?

Wheat yeast strains develop flavors that are typical with the style. If you use an ale yeast strain then you create an American wheat style beer with American hops as well.

The wheat strains produce the banana and clove notes that the American ale strains do not regardless of the grain bill

I though your question was interesting, so I went digging around in the literature, and I found a nice review (Flavor-active esters: Adding fruitiness to beer, J Biosci Bioeng. 2003;96(2):110-8. - its too big for me to attach, but I got a copy by googling the title). Long story short, wheat beer strains produce more of the acetate ester forming enzymes (alcohol acetyl transferases, or AATases) that give you the flavor compounds we associated with wheat beers.

Back