Why Wait Hours To Pitch Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I've read on several blogs that people will get oxygenate their wort and get it down to a pitch-able temp, then wait 30 minutes to hours to pitch. What is the reasoning behind this?

Are you sure it's that order, and not waiting for some times until the desired pitch temp is reached? Example?

I've heard of chilling to the 80's then placing your wort into a fermentation chamber until it reaches pitching temp.

Here's one example. http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/06/hop-juice-north-east-ipa-recipe.html Maybe I'm reading it wrong. 5 hours to chill 10 degrees is a lot of time though.

Is there any merit in pitching at a lower temp then raising the temp 2-3 degrees?

Yes, it will often take that long to chill a full batch by 10 degrees (that's all he was waiting for). The bigger the batch the longer it takes due to reduced surface area to volume.

There are a lot of claims that pitching a few degrees below ferment temperature and allowing the beer to free-rise to ferment temp benefits yeast, giving a cleaner ferment. Pitching a few degrees warmer and cooling to ferment temps might stress yeast and cause a slower ferment. I suspect the different is probably minimal.

A) in your example, I'm 99% sure he's talking about letting it chill, and then presumably aerating and pitching.

B) Allowing the yeast to consistently warm rather than ever cooling speeds conditioning, aids reaching full attenuation faster, and reduces the potential for off-flavors. I typically chill a couple degrees below, allow it to free-rise during lag up to fermentation temp, hold it until the airlock slows towards the end of fermentation, and then raise it a couple degrees again. When using English yeasts, I'll combine a rousing of the yeast with that raise in temp.

C) Not only is it thermal mass, but the smaller the differential between wort temp and ambient temp, the longer it's going to take. Same way it works with an immersion chiller. It'll often take longer to get from 80F to 65F than it took you to get from 212F to 80F (at least that's how it is for me). Those last few degrees can take a very long time.

Ditto to what other people are saying. He set his temp controller to 62 and left it for 5 hours to chill to 62. Once it hits the temp you want to pitch at, you can go ahead and pitch.

Latest posts

Back