Why Starsan??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really posting for #100. But, I do remember dumping a good ounce of StarSan solution into my brew. Everything looks fine.

IMG_0847.JPG

I seriously cannot believe that any of these other sanitizers/clensers are still around. Save you self the trouble and get starsan. Period. End of story. I don't want to see any other posts on this thread. :D Just kidding of course, but seriously get some star san, It last for a long time, even if you mix a fresh batch every time, longer if you save it. You dont have to rinse it. What is not to like. I love it.

So, how exactly does the foam turn into yeast food. Wouldn't yeast food affect the brew? Any chemists out there?

BoB

I'm no chemist, but the amount of starsan that is usually involved, is minute. And, even if there were a more significant amount, you'd have to understand exactly how the yeast were metabolising the starsan, and what the resultant outgassing is, to know how it affects the beer.

From all accounts, a small amount of starsan is indistinguishable as far as flavor is concerned. But, I believe someone must have found out that yeast can actually consume the starsan, and they likely know the chemical makeup of the stuff, so that is where they draw the conclusion that it is safe to drink or brew with.

Not sure how illuminating this will be but...I use Star-San and have had experiences where I've poured partly flat beers with rainbow hued soap bubbles that also taste pretty diluted. It's only an odd one per batch or so. I have a habit (soon to stop) of siphoning some Star San into that last partly filled bottle and am guessing that these random surprises are the result. :eek: The Star San certainly doesn't help in carbonation, but I assume this has less to do with its impact on the yeast than with the fact that the priming sugar and yeast are being diluted in more liquid. Anyways, what does seem relevant is that even with soap bubbles, the beer does not taste drastically different beyond being diluted, i.e. no off-flavors. Don't fear the foam, but don't dump it into your beer either.

Back