Why ROUND? I want an Oval Kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatal_degree

Reaction score
I want an oval kettle that will fit over two burners on my tiny stove. The round pots just seem like an inefficient use of space in general. If the pot was 10"W x 20"L x 15"D, I could do a ten gallon batch and still have two burners free on the stove. Not to mention I could actually lift it onto the stove without a stepladder! I'm 5'2" and have to hoist the tall pots over my head to get them up there...or stand on a milk crate.

And if such a thing did exist, and I was feeling particularly ambitious, I could do TWO ten gallon batches side by side and not take up more than 20"x20" of space! That sounds like a better use of space. Storing the thing would be easier too.

Does anyone know of oval or rectangular pots?

I wouldn't go rectangular. If it has seams, it will be impossible to clean. All the oval pots I know about max out at 8 quarts and that's really not enough for brewing.

If you find one, oval pots will have more surface area and that means more water loss to evaporation.

Before I got my turkey fryer, I bought a pot that was big enough to cover 1.5 burners on my stove. But it is a tall pot.

I'd look at the fryer option. I never measured it, but I'm guessing the stand is about 2 feet tall.

If you find one, oval pots will have more surface area and that means more water loss to evaporation.

This is sort of a fallacious point in this case, as any circular pot that fits over both burners will have EVEN MORE surface area and hence lose even more water during the boil.

To do a turkey fryer would negate using the stove that I'm already running to heat. That is another mechanical expense and another fuel expense. I am not trying to incur additional expense for convenience. The stove and oven run inside to heat the house...since that fuel is already being burned, I try to produce a product with it also. Just like the maple sap that is being evaporated on it currently.

By "rectangular" I guess I pictured something with rounded off corners. Not seamed corners like an aquarium.

This is sort of a fallacious point in this case, as any circular pot that fits over both burners will have EVEN MORE surface area and hence lose even more water during the boil.
There is a 40quart round brew pot for sale where I work. It has a 16" diameter and would have a 201.062 sq.in. surface area. If I had an eliptical or rectangular pot that was 20" long x 10" wide with a depth of 15", my pot would have a surface area of 200sq.in. and hold 13 gallons.

And it would have a ten inch wide footprint. Turkey roasters (not to be confused with fryers) are ALMOST exactly right. I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge of whether something like that was available on the retail market?

Not a wood stove. It's a natural gas oven. But running the oven while I'm home and zone heating is cheaper than running the forced air furnace. So the house furnace gets set at 45 degrees and I always have the gas (cooking) stove going to zone heat. It's an antique Magic Chef oven....

Anyway, as long as it is running I try and have a project going on it to get more bang for my buck.

I was going to dispute you. So I sat down and calculated out the surfaces areas of my roasting pan that covers two burners vs. my brew pot that covers 1.5 burners. They are actually within 1% of each other.

My bad.

But I still can't find a stockpot that is oval that holds more than 2 gallons.

fatal_degree said:
Great Link! I have looked for those online and around town, but didn't find such a comprehensive collection in one spot. That is definitely the track I'm on.

Do you know about pros or cons of cooking with copper?

Yeast metabolize copper and zinc and other trace elements in very small amounts. Beers made with contact to copper ferment better than those that do not. Its for this reason that I stick with my copper IC. Copper = Good

Yeast metabolize copper and zinc and other trace elements in very small amounts. Beers made with contact to copper ferment better than those that do not. Its for this reason that I stick with my copper IC. Copper = Good

Sweet. That makes copper even more attractive!

My 40 qt pot fits over two burners on my gas stove. It's an "average" dimension stove, not sure how big yours is.

Junkster said:
Many (maybe most) old breweries had copper vessels.

I have heard of brewery's that have converted to SS steam coils in the boil kettle that later either ripped them out or installed copper plates inside for this very reason.

Many (maybe most) old breweries had copper vessels.

Check this place - they have a rectangular canner that might fit your needs.
http://www.lehmans.com

Thank You. From a commercially produced, new product standpoint that is spot on! The dimensions are nearly on par with what I was shootin for!! And those were very important to me (and to my other half, who has ZERO interest in drinking or beer and does most of the meal cooking). My stove is almost 100 years old, and it's tiny. The full width, including the lip is 21". A 16" diameter brew pot would either hang precariously over an edge, or would fit over ALL FOUR burners at one time! This is nearly identical to my oven:

http://www.tincantourists.com/classified/showproduct.php?product=5125

While I'm happy cluttering up every inch of the kitchen and drinking a beer instead of cooking dinner, my other half is not keen on it. There are also other projects that go on in concert with brewing. Like the maple sap reducing that is a full time job at the moment. If I don't keep that going constantly I fall behind.... For me, round is an inefficient use of the space I have.

Apparently the Amish are of the same mind...limited resources and efficiency of space and time. For those interested, here is the link to the lehmans page that has a rectangular "water bath canner":

[okay, I tried to post a link here, but mine didn't work either....type this address in your address bar, don't just click it: www.lehmans.com and keyword "amish water bath canner"]

Have to admit, the discussion started about the pros of copper are compelling. I will have to give that some real consideration. Maybe I'll run across one at a local junk auction...

Latest posts

Back