Why Oxiclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my Oxiclean container when I got home last night and it doesn't say anything about being "free" other than Chlorine free. It is mostly white powder with a few little blue grains in it. I didn't notice any strong perfumes or dyes. I used it to clean my bottles last time and now I'm concerned because everybody is mentioning using Oxyclean Free. Oh well, I guess I'll know when I take my first sip in a couple weeks. I have a feeling that the glass bottles don't allow any perfumes or dyes to stick around.

as long as it's not heavily scented your fine just avoid the heavily perfumed varieties. The standard Sun Brand from walmart, big lots etc doesn't have a scent.

I've been using one called Oxo-brite from "earth friendly products"

http://www.ecos.com/oxo.html#spec

It's fragrance-free, and both the web site and container list only sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate as the ingredients. It seems to work really well for cleaning, and bottle labels float right off.

I don't know how the price compares to Oxyclean or PBW, but we buy it in a rather large tub for $12.99. They sell this at my grocery store (Lucky Supermarkets), but I can't find Oxy "free" anywhere.

I had a slow drain (drains laundry and kitchen) and started dumping a scoop of oxiclean down it and adding hot water until it backed up to the wash tub. After about 3 treatments the drain flowed pretty good. Now about once a week I dump a scoop down it and it keeps getting better. Tried many of the drain cleaners and they never really go the drain going.

If oxiclean bothers you, don't look into the stuff the pros use. That stuff can strip your flesh of your bones.....oxiclean is puppy in comparison.

It's called Excel and your right, you feel the oils leaving your skin on contact and that was diluted...fully concentrated, you have a matter of seconds to wash it off...brewers have emergency showers for a reason

Alkaline to clean...water to neutralize...then an acid to sanitize...don't forget to whistle while you work...

Back