Why only 65% wheat in extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
I've done 2 all extract wheat brews using ingredients from NB. The highest percentage of wheat in the extracts is 65% I was wondering if there is some flavor/scientific reason behind this? Why not 100% wheat?

In the summer I am going to buy raw wheat and malt/roast it myself. I was hoping to use it to make some all wheat recipes but the extracts had me wondering if all wheat is impossible or won't turn out well. Anyone have any ideas/knowledge on this issue?

It's not impossible, but it offers some challenges. Wheat malt doesn't have much of a husk, so it is highly subject to sticking the mash. By using roughly half wheat and half barley malt, the mash flows much more readily, making lautering far less problematic. Do not attempt a 100% wheat mash without a generous portion of rice hulls.

Additionally, many wheat beers contain 40-60% wheat, just like most wheat extracts.

Also, as I understand it, wheat malt doesn't have enough enzymes to mash efficiently by itself. Barley malt has more than enough enzymes for itself and is therefore used to help the wheat to mash

Also, as I understand it, wheat malt doesn't have enough enzymes to mash efficiently by itself. Barley malt has more than enough enzymes for itself and is therefore used to help the wheat to mash

What if I just put amylase in with my wheat during the mash? Shouldn't that make up for the lack of barley?

Malted wheat is actually quite high in enzymes. It is a combination of the lack of husk material and the fact that 100% wheat is pretty bland tasting behind the barley/wheat blend.

I got that from Dave Miller How To Brew:
Compared to barley malt, its [wheat's] enzyme content is very low; some wheat malts may be capable of converting their own starch, but it is safer not to count on it.
Not saying you're wrong, just saying that's my source. Frankly, the book has a lot of outdated (incorrect?) information.

Malted wheat is actually quite high in enzymes. It is a combination of the lack of husk material and the fact that 100% wheat is pretty bland tasting behind the barley/wheat blend.

Well I'll have quite a bit of very cheap wheat to play with so I might try different roasts to increase flavor. I mean if my experiments all fail then I'll throw in some barley. I should do a bunch of one gallon batches with different combinations of wheat to barley to see how little barley I can get away with using.

That sounds like a good experiment. I'd suggest starting with a 75/25 wheat to barley mix first and if you can lauter it with the help of rice hulls, then try increasing the wheat percentage. I don't think I'd jump to 100 percent right off the bat, but if you feel ambitious, go for it!

Back