Why oh why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could legally change your name to something that is difficult to shorten or lengthen like RALPH!

Happens to be my middle name! my initials = BRW, I was thinking of adding a name between the R and W, something like Emmett or Eugene way back in the 80s when I first learned to BREW.

All I've got to say to all this bitching is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually gotten in the habit of asking people with ambiguous names (even friends) what they prefer to be called. Some people get pretty darned sensitive about it.

That being said, I have a brother named Robert that answers to Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robby, Bobber, Bobbernowski, Bobo, Wobby, and Nerd licker.

I'm Thomas. Don't mind shorter versions but have always introduced myself as Thomas. Everyone calls me Thomas except my two best friends (Tommy), my boss (T-Bone) and an eccentric high school teacher who called me Thorpenstein... Last name is Thorpe. That's my life in a nutshell.

I'm Dave, but people must hear "Steve"...maybe I'm slurring.

Anyway, as long as they call me for a beer, I don't care what name they use. :)

My name is Chris but half the time I introduce myself my introduction is met with, "nice to meet you Curtis." I think it may be my accent..

My name is Curtis, and I often get called Chris. I also get called Kirk if I introduce myself as Curt.

Could be worse. My name is Jeb. 90% of my introductions go like this.

Me: "Hello, my name is Jeb."
Other person: "Nice to meet you John or Jeff or Jed or Jake or Ted or Red."
Me: J-E-B.
Them: Ohhhh, Jeb. What a neat name..."

Try being called Yann . . . I always have to repeat it at least once, most still get it wrong and need correction.

Jon, Ian, Yan, Yanni, Yang, Juan, Jan and occasionally 'Young' :confused:

Then there is the inevitable question. "Is that short for something . . . like Yannathin?"

Back