Why not more interest in 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like DWhitwell said. If the intensity of the boil is the same the boil off rate will be same. That's in gallons per hour, not percent of volume like Beersmith uses. But in reality it will probably change, because it is dependant on kettle geometry and when you move from 5 to 10 gallons you may need a new pot. Also if you're running your burner on full for 5 gallon batches, you won't get the same intensity with more volume, so the rate will be less.

BeerSmith most definitely uses gal per hour in the equipment profiles. Staring at it right meow.

I just did my first 10 gallon batch this last weekend. It took me about 1 hour longer than normal for the extra heating time as I have a weak burner. The chilling time was the same or maybe less as I switched to a whirlpool chiller and it made a huge difference. I used a 10gal stock pot before and switched to a keggle. My boil off rate was much lower in the keggle than in the pot. I would get ~2.5gal loss in a 60 minute boil in the pot (HUGE surface area/wide pot) but I only got ~2gal loss in a 90 minute boil in the keggle. I was used to collecting 8.5gal pre boil to end up with 6 post boil. For 90 minute boils I usually had to top up.

I think I will continue to do 10 gallon batches for the beers I take to the parties every month and to other events. I have become the 'beer guy' and if I don't show up to events and parties with some brew people are disappointed. Plus I like the attention :D

I have done two 5gal AGs and one 10gal. I currently do a sort of modified BIAB batch sparging with my bag in a cooler tun. Because I have a 6.5gal kettle I did my 10gal batch in one mash and two boils, which cuts back on your time/effort savings a little, but personally I think the boil is the easy part of AG brewing so I don't mind the idea of doing it back to back. I definitely think I'm going to keep this up, I want to be able to share my beer, and I get a little miserly about my beer stash when I run low, y'know?

(Full disclosure, this last 10gal batch I thought I could let the wort sit overnight without an immediate boil, and learned that's one way to make a sour--still not bad! I still don't mind that it means a double header boil. Makes for a full brew day, but for double the yield.)

BeerSmith most definitely uses gal per hour in the equipment profiles. Staring at it right meow.
Sorry kitty, my bad. I bought Beersmith 2, but didn't care for the format and went back to the older ver 1.4 that uses % per hour. Even the Beersmith 2.1 on my computer uses %. He must have fixed it on later versions.

Sorry kitty, my bad.

super-troopers-2.jpg

Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?

I bought Beersmith 2, but didn't care for the format and went back to the older ver 1.4 that uses % per hour. Even the Beersmith 2.1 on my computer uses %. He must have fixed it on later versions.

Dunno. Using 2.1.02. Latest version... released 15 May 2012.

1KcU5sD.png

But back to the OP's question...

Guessing 10 gallon batches aren't more popular because it requires a pretty decent step up in kettle and a burner. That's probably the point most SWMBOs start taking notice of the "hobby" and its costs. 5 gallon batches can be done on the stove, even full boil if you have a real nice semi-pro gas range. 10 gallons... not so much. Couldn't keep more than 6 gallons boiling with my 17k btu burner cranked to full.

On the other side of that I'm in the same boat with Calichusetts in that I'm currently not drinking beer period as I'm going through quite a lifestyle change and trying to lose weight(down 27lbs so far, only 60 more to go) and haven't had a beer in over a month. This hasn't stopped me from brewing however, as I have 2 in the Ferm fridge as we speak and am planning another brewday for next weekend.

:off:
Take it from me: don't change anything in your eating/drinking that you aren't prepared to do for the rest of your life. If you plan to drink beer when you get to your goal weight, learn NOW how to fit it in. I've lost 108 pounds and kept if off for almost 9 years, and the key is NOT restriction, but restraint.

Now back to our regular topic :mug:

Sorry kitty, my bad. I bought Beersmith 2, but didn't care for the format and went back to the older ver 1.4 that uses % per hour. Even the Beersmith 2.1 on my computer uses %. He must have fixed it on later versions.

Actually, you're BOTH right. In the boil-off calculator in BS 2 you only get a % to play with, but when setting up the equipment profiles, there is a check-off box that lets you set boil rate at gallons per hour, and then calculates the (totally unneeded) boil off percentage.

I brew 10 gallon batches pretty much exclusively, it doesn't take much longer, I give away a lot of beer, and I don't get to brew too often. If I'm doing something really freaky I'll use my pilot system to make a gallon and a half. (Fills 2 1 gallon fermenters)

I used to brew 10 gallon batches exclusively. I figured I might as well since it didn't take much more time. Then I pretty much stopped brewing for several years. When I got back into it, I switched to 5 gallon batches. I have to lift the kettle at least once in my brewing process and 10 gallons was difficult for me to handle. I couldn't get through 10 gallons fast enough. Finally, I worked quite a bit on my process and got it down to a reasonable time and don't want to add back the time for a bigger batch. I enjoy brewing a lot more now that it only takes 5 to 5-1/2 hours compared to the 7-8 it used to take me.

:off:
Take it from me: don't change anything in your eating/drinking that you aren't prepared to do for the rest of your life. If you plan to drink beer when you get to your goal weight, learn NOW how to fit it in. I've lost 108 pounds and kept if off for almost 9 years, and the key is NOT restriction, but restraint.

Now back to our regular topic :mug:

THIS! It has to be a lifestyle change you're willing to make. As soon as you starting drinking beer again you'll gain your weight back. You just need to exercise moderation.

I brew 4 gallon batches inside on the stove with a cooler mashtun, but I think I'm going to downsize to 3 gallon brew in a bag. I like to brew as often as I can, I like to have variety, and cannot/DO NOT want to drink 10 gallons of the same beer. I get bored of a beer about halfway through a 5 gallon batch. Even if it's a great beer, I'm usually looking forward to the next batch in line at about the 3 gallon mark.

Another reason I do not brew 10 gallons is that it would take a lot of $$ to get the gear to do 10 gallons.
This was me.

Just got the windfall to get the equipment to do larger batches. Now that that's out of the way, I look forward to brewing 10+ gallons exclusively.

I brew 10 gallons and I drink allot of beer. I don't brew in the summer so what I try to do, when I start brewing in the fall, is
Drink one stash one, and keep rotating them in and try to go into summer with 25-30 gallons. (I keg everything,and have a 2 tap kegerator)

5 gallon batch for new recipes, 10 gallon batches for proven recipes that the wife and I both like. I buy hops and grain in bulk, capture my yeast and filter my water, saves a ton of money.

I just wanted to than the OP for starting this discussion. I like seeing how much we all brew and why. It's motivated me to get my "pilot system" finished - I scored a 3 gallon beverage cooler, had an extra plastic spigot hanging around, and still have an extra paint strainer bag from when I made my hop spider, so I think I'm going to play around with experimental recipes with it when I don't have any room for making a 5 or 10 gallon batch. I've also got more ideas for splitting single batches into multiple fermenters I hadn't really considered, like oak cubes, different sugars, more parti-gyles, and maybe even doing a mini-mash with different grains at the same time as I'm making my main batch and adding it to to some of the main wort!

Now, if I could just find more friends to give my beer away to!

Now, if I could just find more friends to give my beer away to!

Do you work, or are you retired?

Turns out, there's 5 other homebrewers that I know of in my unit. We bottle-swap occasionally. Would like to start corny-swapping instead, but some of us have old used cornys (I have two dozen) and some have only a few new AEB kegs (co-worker has 3 beautiful Italian all-stainless puppies).

Gave out 6 cases of bombers in a single day a few weeks ago. Very few people turn down free beer. And very equally few actually bring back the bottles. -.-

Do you work, or are you retired?

Turns out, there's 5 other homebrewers that I know of in my unit. We bottle-swap occasionally. Would like to start corny-swapping instead, but some of us have old used cornys (I have two dozen) and some have only a few new AEB kegs (co-worker has 3 beautiful Italian all-stainless puppies).

Gave out 6 cases of bombers in a single day a few weeks ago. Very few people turn down free beer. And very equally few actually bring back the bottles. -.-

Working still and will be for many years, but most of my co-workers are very selective about that they drink - we all work for Weight Watchers and have to maintain our weight - so I don't give away much beer there. I don't worry too much about getting my 12 oz bottles back, so I give those away, but I'm reluctant to give up my bombers, for the same reason you stated. I used to keg but sold it all off - not worth it to me to keg. But I did just find someone in the neighborhood who homebrews, and he might be interested in taking some off my hands.

It's a happy problem to have too much beer, and I just love making it so much I don't want to give that up. That's why I think splitting batches and playing around with yeast and other additions is the way to go!

Like many here have already said, even though my system can easily handle 10 gallon batches, I rarely do anything over 5 gallons. The only time I have done 10 gallon batches is when I had friends over and we split the batch.

I would rather have 6 taps, with 6 different beers, than 3 taps with 3 different beers. Yes, I could simply split the 10 gallon batches, but the resulting beer isn't "different" enough for me when the only thing that changed was the yeast (or dry hop, spices, etc.).

I have actually been thinking about down sizing even more and only doing 2.5-3 gallon batches simply because I am the primary drinker, and after loosing 92 pounds (and counting) over the past 15 months, I simply do not drink nearly as much beer as I used to drink. Either that, or I need more friends to help me drink my 5 gallon batches...anybody want to stop over and help me kick a few kegs this weekend?

Personally it is because I really, really love brewing. I also like having a whole bunch of different stuff in the bottle at once. If I did 10 gallon batches I'd probably end up brewing 5-6 times a year and that would be it.

Ignoring the furlough where I and my wife probably drank more than was good for us (okay, I'll cop to drinking a bit more when I am under a lot of stress)...ususally between the two of us we might go through 10-12 beers a week.

A 10 gallon batch would mean around 8-10 weeks between batches.

Also I only have roughly enough room for about 120 bottles at a time in my storage room. Which would mean 3 beers at most bottled at a time (2 roughly full ones and a mostly drank batch).

I generally prefer 2.5 and 3.75G batches, because it means I get to brew every 3-4 weeks and sometimes more often.

It also means that, like now, I have 4 different beers in the bottle, a cider and 2 other brews that'll be done and bottled in the next 2-4 weeks, giving me 6 different beers and a cider in the bottle (and that'll just about tap out all of the empty bottles I have).

I only have the equipment to do a 3.75G AG batches, unless I want to do a small beer, which I haven't yet played with (I generally prefer my beers in the 5.5-6.5% range). In part I do BiaB because of ease and also storage issues for equipment to do a wash sparge as well as bigger batches. I can do a 5G PM just fine (I can do a 5.5G boil in my 24qt pot) though for a higher gravity.

Again, for me it is mostly that I love a huge amount of variety in my beer, and having only brewed and bottled 5 batches before with another couple in the fermenter and a cider in the fermenter there is just soooo much I want to experiment with that I like the flexibility that small batches allows me. Once I have a few more brews under my belt I might start doing some 5G batches again, but I don't think I am likely to ever go larger than that.

In the fermenter now is a Caramel dry cider (2 gallons), 2.5G Fair Winds India Brown Ale (English style) and 3.75G High Watermark Watermelon Wheat. In a couple of weeks I am also going to brew up a 3.75G Over the Moon Belgian Dupple and shortly there after a 2.5G Roggenbier.

I also just got a pound of Cascade at my LHBS because they had 25% off all hops for the month and it was an impulse buy when picking up the supplies for the Roggen...so I am waffling between an Oatmeal Coffee Milk Stout (possibly Imperial) that I have been wanting to do for a couple of months and maybe an APA or a Blonde Ale to start using some of the Cascade with.

So you see my problem? I have lots and lots of ideas and plans rattling around in my head (and my brew notebook)...and a 10 gallon batch means it would be AGES before I'd be able to try most of them.

The question is really related to equipment, and what batch size someone's system is setup to brew. I used to brew 5-gallon extract batches. But I moved to all-grain, and got 20-gallon kettles so that I could brew 10-gallon batches. It is a definite step up in equipment cost, but that wasn't a major concern for me, I wanted to get a larger and better setup that could last well into the future so my boys could eventually use it to brew. I always do 10-gallon batches now, but I only get a chance to brew once every 2-3 months.

As others have mentioned, splitting into 2 batches to experiment is a lot of fun too (of course you can do this on any scale). I brewed an IS that I split, and aged half on bourbon-soaked oak cubes. Now I have 5-gallons of each on tap. :)

My biggest fear in doing a 5-gallon batch, is that it would turn out amazing. I would be pissed that I hadn't brewed a larger batch. :cross:

I agree, but that is a double edged sword. If you brew 10 gallons and it turns out bad then you will wish you had only brewed 5 :p
IMO, not nearly as much. Better to have beer you don't want to drink, than to want to drink beer but not have any.

IMO, not nearly as much. Better to have beer you don't want to drink, than to want to drink beer but not have any.

Meh, then it doesn't leave you wanting more of that beer. I'd rather just brew more since I almost enjoy brewing more than drinking it. ALMOST.

I also just got a pound of Cascade at my LHBS because they had 25% off all hops for the month

lol! how you liking MDHB? maybe I'll come drink some of that excess. :)

My wife had to talk me out of a few lbs of hops when I heard about that sale.

X4, moved to 15 gallons batches for the regular tap (red,blonde, etc)
Mostly doing 10g during week days

I've done about 40 all-grain 5 gallon batches so far. Recently, I've done a couple 10 gallon batches, and I have to say, I'm strongly considering moving to 10 gallon batches exclusively. It seems to me that for a slightly increased time investment (the additional heating/cooling adds a total of about an hour for me), I end up with twice as much beer.

Why don't more people do 10 gallon batches? Is it the issue of moving that much hot wort around? I confess I have a Chugger pump that I use for chilling, and for transferring the wort to the first carboy (I use gravity and an autosiphon to fill the second carboy). But my boil kettle (15g), mash tun (70 qt), mill (Barley Crusher w/ power drill), and all my other equipment can easily handle 10 gallon batches, so it seems like a no-brainer.

Is there an army of dedicated 10 gallon brewers out there I'm just not aware of, or is there some other reason people stick with 5 gallon batches?

That would leave me w/very little to choose from when I wanted a beer to drink. 100 of this and 100 of that....etc. I do small batches and get 3 six packs a brew. Lots to choose from when I open the fridge.

I drink most of what I brew myself, and would rather brew more often and have more styles on tap. It is personal preference, why worry about it? Brew the quantity you need, quantity does not give you a bigger peen.

That would leave me w/very little to choose from when I wanted a beer to drink. 100 of this and 100 of that....etc. I do small batches and get 3 six packs a brew. Lots to choose from when I open the fridge.

When ya use a 10-keg keezer and own two dozen cornies, the picture looks a whole lot different.

Started plans to move to 10 gallon, now thinking about going bigger, but keeping my 5 gallon gear so I can brew smaller when I want.

monkeybox said:
imo, not nearly as much. Better to have beer you don't want to drink, than to want to drink beer but not have any.

👍 👍👏

+1 on the I'm fat enough drinking my 5G batches and if I want to brew bigger I can always go and CONSULT with my buddy who does 350G batches at his micro. It usually takes me about 2mons to kick a 5G keg anyway.

I've done about 40 all-grain 5 gallon batches so far. Recently, I've done a couple 10 gallon batches, and I have to say, I'm strongly considering moving to 10 gallon batches exclusively. It seems to me that for a slightly increased time investment (the additional heating/cooling adds a total of about an hour for me), I end up with twice as much beer.

Why don't more people do 10 gallon batches? Is it the issue of moving that much hot wort around? I confess I have a Chugger pump that I use for chilling, and for transferring the wort to the first carboy (I use gravity and an autosiphon to fill the second carboy). But my boil kettle (15g), mash tun (70 qt), mill (Barley Crusher w/ power drill), and all my other equipment can easily handle 10 gallon batches, so it seems like a no-brainer.

Is there an army of dedicated 10 gallon brewers out there I'm just not aware of, or is there some other reason people stick with 5 gallon batches?

I began this hobby on my stove. I moved to a three tier system in my garage. Then I went to a five gallon single tier with pump on my patio.

As I did so I knew I would move to a ten gallon system so I began building what I needed to do so. I converted from LP gas to natural and set a goal to make the best beer as cheaply as possible.

I also do not like to purchase equipment twice so I always bought above what I needed.

Now, I like that 5L flask to make the starters I use in my 15 gallon brewery. I am converting an out building on my property to a dedicated brewery.

I am finding I have more capacity than I may want so am developing some brew partners that will share in the costs of production, and they will bottle or keg the end product and take their share.

I enjoy the beer I brew. And maybe too much of it. But I like the process and sharing. Now, for me the process also includes hanging at a number of site, being active in the brew club I helped found, participating in brew days with others and helping other brewers establish.

It is a hobby. And sometimes SWMBOed questions my purchase of six or eight pounds of hops and six months later 300 lbs of grain.

I simply say, "You are correct honey, maybe I should take up bass fishing. BTW, I now need a 25K bass boat, and a 40K truck to pull it. Did I mention the $500.00 rod & reel? Oh, and every weekend I leave the driveway for the weekend it will cost me $300.00 in expenses."

My wife is wonderful with my hobby and I stay home to do it.

I am converting an out building on my property to a dedicated brewery.

family_guy_barfing.gif

It is a hobby. And sometimes SWMBOed questions my purchase of six or eight pounds of hops and six months later 300 lbs of grain.

Same, except 12# of hops and over 500# of base grain/yr.

I simply say, "You are correct honey, maybe I should take up bass fishing. BTW, I now need a 25K bass boat, and a 40K truck to pull it. Did I mention the $500.00 rod & reel? Oh, and every weekend I leave the driveway for the weekend it will cost me $300.00 in expenses."

At least you could rationalize that the fish you caught were "free". :ban:

Started plans to move to 10 gallon, now thinking about going bigger, but keeping my 5 gallon gear so I can brew smaller when I want.

That's what I'm going to do as well.. I would REALLY like to get a 25 gallon pot.. with my current e-kettle, I can do huge 5 gallons and regular 10 gallons. With the bigger pot I could pull off HUGE 10 gallons and maybe sneak in a 15 gallon batch.

My new conicals are "15 gallons", but will hold 18 or 19. I don't mind pushing that limit on them.

Back