Why not 2! /Stirplates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake10

Reaction score
Thanks stirplate thread! This site is amazing. First I build a Brutus ten, then a keezer with 7 taps, then a stir plate. It just keeps getting worse.

Because of the stirplate thread. I went to northern tool and bought 2 - 4.75 inch muffin fans, 12volt. I went to make my stirplate after reviewing the thread. Then I saw another thread on an insulated keezer tower. No need for the 2nd muffin fan for a tower because they are getting better results with spray foam and copper pipe!

Next, I'm in my local thrift shop and spy a $2.99 wooden box used for silver spoons and forks. My wife says its 75% off. I can fork out 50 cents, no problem. I had already bought 2- 1000ml flask for making starters. basically 1 for a back up in case I broke one. The box was big enough for two flask. Oh, since my fans, on/off switch, rheostat were 12volt, I had to steal one of my sons broken radio control 12 volt charger/transformer plugs and make my 2 flask stir plate. Sorry kid. I only need one but then again why worry about steeping one up, just make 2!

DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

DSCI0005.jpg

DSCI0006.jpg

i'd consider doing a second potentiometer and power switch to control them independently, but other than that it's amazing!

Your right on the independent idea. I just had the stuff so i went for it. I put the switches on one side so that later I could separate them. I just didn't make a 2nd run to Radio shack. The magnets are from a used hard drive. They actually just stick on the motor, thats it.

I think it is a sexy build. Very nice on the box.

I'm just sitting here wondering if I'd ever use two stirplates at once. I suspect if I had two stirplates, I would probably find a reason to do so.

The bars are 1 inch. I played with the hieght of the fans in order to not throw the bars. Under the hood, the magnets ride just below the 1/8" wooden top. Seems that you can tell if your magnets are near the top because the stir bars jump to the middle of the flask quickly or when the fans start to slow. Those hard drive magnets are strong!

i ordered longer bars, i wonder if i'll need a pair of magnets or can get along with 1. good to know that height seems to be important. =)

Thanks stirplate thread! This site is amazing. First I build a Brutus ten, then a keezer with 7 taps, then a stir plate. It just keeps getting worse.

Because of the stirplate thread. I went to northern tool and bought 2 - 4.75 inch muffin fans, 12volt. I went to make my stirplate after reviewing the thread. Then I saw another thread on an insulated keezer tower. No need for the 2nd muffin fan for a tower because they are getting better results with spray foam and copper pipe!

Next, I'm in my local thrift shop and spy a $2.99 wooden box used for silver spoons and forks. My wife says its 75% off. I can fork out 50 cents, no problem. I had already bought 2- 1000ml flask for making starters. basically 1 for a back up in case I broke one. The box was big enough for two flask. Oh, since my fans, on/off switch, rheostat were 12volt, I had to steal one of my sons broken radio control 12 volt charger/transformer plugs and make my 2 flask stir plate. Sorry kid. I only need one but then again why worry about steeping one up, just make 2!

Nice, and it looks like there is ample room if you wanted to put a larger flask on as well.

I'm just sitting here wondering if I'd ever use two stirplates at once. ...

I generally do two batches on brew day, one 10 gallon (that gets split into two fermentors) and one 5 gallon, So I was contemplating something like this only with three positions, two for 1L flasks and one for up to a 5L flask. That way I could do three different 1L starters or one 1L and one 2L (or bigger).

I generally do two batches on brew day, one 10 gallon (that gets split into two fermentors) and one 5 gallon, So I was contemplating something like this only with three positions, two for 1L flasks and one for up to a 5L flask. That way I could do three different 1L starters or one 1L and one 2L (or bigger).

Hmm....I can see that. In fact, I would recently have been in that situation with a recent partigyle I did if I weren't pitching dry yeast on one of them.

I couldn't get by without a two holer - in fact, I'm contemplating adding two more. I rather have a surplus of yeast (according to Mr. Malty) and wash the excess for further brews, then not have enough to do the job right.

barebones3_1.JPG

Latest posts

Back