Why is my blonde ale amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
Back when my mash tun was direct fired I would often get a dark colour (and weird twang that would get exponentially worse with time) from my blonde recipe. After I switched to a heat exchanger it went back to being yellow. My last batch i used an electric element in my kettle, but didn't know i should switch it to manual and dial the duty cycle back to 60% so the boil was violent and hard for the hour.

I also forgot sour malt to adjust ph down to 5.2ish

The beer turned out a nice amber colour and it has a slight off taste at 60 days old and its getting worse.

So why is the beer amber? Ph problem? Caramelized the wort with the super boil?

Thanks for any advice

I would assume you scorched the wort. Certainly possible that a 100% power boil would mimic an extended boil although I think the off flavor would have to be a function of actually scorching your wort rather than the malliard of an extended boil

What was your boil off compared to normal? I would have a boiler of epic proportions if I left my element at 100%

it was a little under double. Usally loose just under 2 gallons lost about 3.5 this last time. What % do you dial your boil element back to?

Back