Why is it called a 1L starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question, but why is it called a 1L starter? I have about a 1/4 inch yeast cake at the bottom, and the original recipe only called for 650ml of water. How do I know if I have enough to pitch?

1 liter is the amount of wort used to make the starter. Need more information to answer your question though:
1. What is your expected OG of your batch?
2. How much yeast did you pitch in the starter?
3. how much wort did you end up with for your starter (assuming it was about 1.040 og for the starter)?
4. What size is your batch going to be?
5. What type of yeast are you using (ale or lager)?
6. How old is your yeast?

1. What is your expected OG of your batch? - 1.055

2. How much yeast did you pitch in the starter? 1 smackpack of wyeast 2565

3. how much wort did you end up with for your starter (assuming it was about
1.040 og for the starter)? - I don't know how to answer this. It was my first starter, but the wort is sitting at 600ml with about a 1/4 inch yeast cake on the bottom.

4. What size is your batch going to be? - 5 gallon

5. What type of yeast are you using (ale or lager)? Ale (brewing a kolsch)

6. How old is your yeast? It was a couple of weeks old printed on the package IIRC.

Thanks!

The starter recipe that I used was from Northern Brewer's yeast starter kit. It stated to use 650ml water, 1/2 cup dme, cool, and pitch smackpack. From the calculators that I'm finding online, 1000ml is 1L, so that's where my confusion is coming in. I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough cells to finish the beer out.... :(

You will have enough to finish the beer but you won't have the "ideal" amount or what the recommended amount is. Mr. Malty calculator recommends 192 billion cells which would be about 1.75 Liter starter (without a stir plate). That being said, you will still be ok. Since your cell count will be low you run a bit higher risk of off flavors due to the yeast having to work harder (esters, fusol alchohols, etc). If you can control your fermentation temp you should be ok. Ferment at the lower range for this yeast (shoot for around 58deg) and don't worry if it takes a day or two to show active fermentation. Let it stay in the primary for at least 2 weeks. Consider raising the temp to about 60-62 once active fermentation starts to subside.

Thank you for the response. So, I only bought a 1L flask. When I do these starters, am I supposed to fill that up to 1L with water and then boil that with still a 1/2 dme? I'm finding there are a lot of different calculations out there and I'm getting confused...would I be better off going back to the lhbs today and grab another smackpack and pitch it without a starter on top of my starter?

I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough cells to finish the beer out.... :(

Don't worry, I've pitched a single smack pack directly into a similar volume and gravity, your beer will finish just fine. Keep track of your ferm temps. Any size starter you did will help, next time check out a calculator like the yeast calculator to give you the total volume you'll need start your yeast with.

If your flask isn't big enough to make the size starter you want, you can do a smaller starter, then put it in the fridge to settle the yeast, dump out the spent beer leaving the yeast at the bottom, and do another starter. This is called stepping up.

If your flask isn't big enough to make the size starter you want, you can do a smaller starter, then put it in the fridge to settle the yeast, dump out the spent beer leaving the yeast at the bottom, and do another starter. This is called stepping up.

Hmmm...this is new to me too. :) So, I did my starter on Friday night and put it in the fridge yesterday. I was going to brew today around noon which is 3 hours away. In order to step up the starter, I've been reading that I decant the wort off and put new wort on? Is that all I would need to do, and is it too late if I'm brewing today or do you normally have to let it sit for 24 hours again?

There's not much you can do now, but use what you have. It will most likely be fine, just keep the temps down as stated previously. When i first began to make starters, i also picked up the 1 liter kit from NB. Soon realized it's pretty much worthless. Now i have a 3 liter flask with stirplate-much better. A gallon jug will work for the shaking method. There's many threads regarding starter vessels on here. Get to brewin' and don't worry about the yeast for this batch. Read up & plan for the next one & knock it out of the park! Good luck! :rockin:

Thanks! Last question. Should I go ahead and buy a smackpack to pitch along with this starter or should I really not worry about it? The lhbs opens at 1, so I'd have time if I need to...

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok with what you have, but IMO, $7 is pretty cheap "piece of mind". You'd definitely have plenty of cells that way. Or----spend the $ on a six pack to enjoy after a good brewday!! Make the call!! :tank:

Latest posts

Back