Why I will never use my PC again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanwolfhausen

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth on if I want to start using my Plate chiller again instead of my WIC. Well for giggles last night I decided to put PC in boiling water with some PBW for 25min. The crap that was in it was endless. Even after I boiled it and rinsed it stuff was still coming out of it. I just don't think I can trust it anymore. I love my WIC but, sometimes would like something I don't have to move in and out of BK. I was gonna try my old CFC again but, I really would like to have one built that has 1/2" ID coil but, I don't think I can find hose to fit around that?

I built a counterflow using rigid 1/2" copper inside 3/4". A bunch of elbows and tees make it pretty compact. I have a pump and recirc the wort through it and return it to the kettle for whirlpool. Takes about 5-7 minutes to show pitching temps at the chiller outlet. Recirc'ing hot PBW solution through the same system gets it super clean. and 10 minutes of boiling water recirc without any chilling water sterilizes it for the brew day.

I'll post some pics one day....

I have been going back and forth on if I want to start using my Plate chiller again instead of my WIC. Well for giggles last night I decided to put PC in boiling water with some PBW for 25min. The crap that was in it was endless. Even after I boiled it and rinsed it stuff was still coming out of it. I just don't think I can trust it anymore. I love my WIC but, sometimes would like something I don't have to move in and out of BK. I was gonna try my old CFC again but, I really would like to have one built that has 1/2" ID coil but, I don't think I can find hose to fit around that?

I'm amazed that you could post this message after putting your PC in boiling water with PBW. :)

I use a CFC, and after each brew, I rinse, force some OxiClean or PBW through it, let it sit for 30 minutes soaking in OxiClean or PBW, then rinse again. This keeps it nioce and clean for the next brew.

-a.

I've taken to using my IC in reverse. Some one here said it is like a counterflow. I sterilize it inside and out (I think) and put it in a big pot of water and snow and ice. I run my wort through it and as the ice and snow melts, drain water and add more snow. Summer time will be a drag with buying ice, but I'm not using much tap water and I'm instantly at 70F.

I've taken to using my IC in reverse. Some one here said it is like a counterflow. I sterilize it inside and out (I think) and put it in a big pot of water and snow and ice. I run my wort through it and as the ice and snow melts, drain water and add more snow. Summer time will be a drag with buying ice, but I'm not using much tap water and I'm instantly at 70F.

Do you pump or use gravity to get the wort flowing? Sounds like a good idea for those of us with plenty of snow.

Mine is a WIC. Don't get me wrong I love it but, just sometimes would like not to have to haul something in and out of BK.

Back