Why I haven't brewed lately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got all the hardibacker installed lasts night so now I just have to do a little spot filling with self leveling goop and it's off to the races with the rest of the tile.

Looking for suggestions on under cabinet lighting...

Problems with the countertops? We've been planning on ordering our countertops through Depot, they've got what we want, so I'm curious what your experience had been...

Like I said, I've ordered countertops and cabinets through Depot twice. The first time, I ordered American Woodmark Hickory cabinets and a laminate countertop. That was in 2001. Everything went fine. Cabinets were great, though one was damaged in delivery, but everything went fine. Laminate countertop was fine and delivered perfectly.

The second time, I went to the same store and ordered cabinets and countertops, but it wasn't quite as good of an experience (much like Bobby M below). The service in the design area had dropped off significantly, and they kept trying to sell me installation. I truely believe Home Depot and Lowes have moved from a warehouse store for pros and DIYs to a service store. I wasn't going to pay someone another $2,000 to install something that took me and my FIL one day to do.

They wouldn't sell me the countertops, even though I had the exact dimensions right away until I had the cabinets in place. Ok, fine I understand they don't want to be screwed if the measurements were wrong but that would be my mistake, not theirs. But, after the cabinets were installed I ordered the countertops, exactly to spec. as my cabinets were. Again, they kept urging me to pay for the installation. $1000 worth of countertops automatically shot up to $2000 for someone to do something that took me about 2 hrs.

They had my cabinet designs, just use those to spec out the countertops. Well, the design person was quite possibly the stupidest person because she kept trying to do everything from scratch rather than using my cabinet designs and using. The countertops were ordered. When they were delivered, they didn't deliver to my house though they were supposed to. They sat in will-call for nearly 10 days while I kept calling, then they finally delivered them to my house and they were completely wrong and damaged. Had to have them reordered and wait another two weeks for them to be delivered.

I would imagine problems with HD or Lowes cabinet orders would be in their design service. My initial run in with them wasn't positive.

I'd think on the countertop front, it's all about the subcontractor they hire.

If you're having countertops installed, like marble or something, then they may be just fine. I haven't paid for installation from HD or Lowes. If, however, you're doing laminate countertops, then you may want to reconsider whether you install them or not. Personally, if it's not something real complicated then laminate countertops are a breeze to install and I wouldn't pay someone else to do it, but be careful when you're ordering.

I actually bought all of my cabinets, used, on Craigslist. They're in great shape, there's more than enough for what we're going to need (we have a small kitchen), and they're almost exactly what I would have bought if I was buying new (they're a really light ivory color, I probably would have bought straight white). Like $1,500 for the whole kitchen, plus he threw in a microwave/exhaust fan combo and some scrap countertops that landed in my basement.

Looking for suggestions on under cabinet lighting...

I did the little halogen puck lights (black) that you plug in. I think they typically are sold in packs of three or five. I snipped the plugs off, wired them in series, ran the wires under the cabinets, and then hard wired them into a junction box connected to a light switch (used to operate an over the sink light). Works great and offers alot of light where you need it without it being "too harsh".

If you do this, I would run the wires behind the cabinets. For mine, you can't really see the wires unless you look for them, but it would still be a cleaner look.

I have those halogen pucks in my current install and every single one stopped working because the filament got disconnected from the pins. Wierdest thing. Lowes stopped carrying the replacement bulbs like a week after I bought the kit.

I actually ordered the moulding that mounts under the cabs that has a wire raceway routed in. I'm certainly going to hardwire and hide all the wiring.

I was looking at the newer LED strips but a frickin 18" bar is like $40.

I have those halogen pucks in my current install and every single one stopped working because the filament got disconnected from the pins. Wierdest thing. Lowes stopped carrying the replacement bulbs like a week after I bought the kit.

I actually ordered the moulding that mounts under the cabs that has a wire raceway routed in. I'm certainly going to hardwire and hide all the wiring.

I was looking at the newer LED strips but a frickin 18" bar is like $40.

In my old place, I had the halogen pucks also and the bulbs burned out all the time, but I think it had to do more with the way I wired it rather than the pucks themselves. My house now, I've had them for 3 years, and I think I've replaced two bulbs - actually one is burned out now and that's the second.

tiledone.jpg

I'm progressing slowly. Nothing like a week at Disney World to slow things down. I'm also cleaning up shortcuts that the damn builders took at every turn.

2009mar29kitchen.jpg

2009mar29kitchentiledone.jpg

In case you care, the tile is Rialto beige 12" and 6" in a hopscotch or pinwheel pattern. It's sold at Lowes. The grout is Spectralok epoxy, color Parchment.

Oh, I said a lot of nice things about Lowes for Kraftmaid ordering but they have one tick against them. I asked them to add a bunch of moldings to the order and they never got added. Of course it was my fault for not catching it but I was so focused on making sure each of the $400-500 cabinet boxes were correct, I overlooked the trim. It's not a huge deal because it's the last thing to be added, but still...

Looking great Bobby! I can't believe I missed this. I am redoing my entire house so I am always interested in people projects.

Just a thought but we are planning on putting a couple taps through the wall when we redo the kitchen. We really like having sparkling water and of course beer.

You need to invest in a plane (hand or power). I can't believe you took a joist down a full 1/4 with a belt sander :D You are a mad man!

What are you doing for countertops? I've gotten a bit of sticker-shock from how much the counters we wanted are going to run us, so I'm leaning towards some nice 12" granite tiles. Get my money's worth out of the wet saw!

The truth is, this kitchen project is really the one large ticket item we're allowing ourselves to splurge on. To that end, we're not cutting corners on the tops at all. The product on the top of the list right now is Sensa Granite from Lowes. It's a real granite with a 15 year stain warranty (no sealing). The style we like runs $75 sq/ft plus machining over the basic eased edge. I think we're going with a full bullnose to keep the kids' skulls from getting cracked on the sharp lippage. I think I have 60 sqft which will probably run me $6000 with radii, bullnose and sink cutout. Lowes has a $500 rebate on this product until May 1st. I was looking at Silestone but the equivalent appearance class will run $90 sq/ft and it only has as 10 year warranty.

I was seriously considering a two tap tower in the project, and it's still possible but I can't stop progress to work on that aspect when the kids are eating chicken nuggets on paper plates every day.

I was seriously considering a two tap tower in the project, and it's still possible but I can't stop progress to work on that aspect when the kids are eating chicken nuggets on paper plates every day.

Put that shiny brew rig to use :D You could cook whatever you want on that.

A tower sticking out of a granite top would be incredible.

Looking great Bobby! I can't believe I missed this. I am redoing my entire house so I am always interested in people projects.

Just a thought but we are planning on putting a couple taps through the wall when we redo the kitchen. We really like having sparkling water and of course beer.

You need to invest in a plane (hand or power). I can't believe you took a joist down a full 1/4 with a belt sander :D You are a mad man!

With 60 grit paper, it really didn't take much time. A plane would have been less messy for sure.

The pot filler sounds good, but it's easy carrying a pot of cold water. What we need is a pot sucker. Complete with spaghetti strainer. Now THAT would be cool.

I think we already have that. It's called a direct fired mashtun with a false bottom. I can probably cook and drain 40 pounds of pasta in one shot.

The truth is, this kitchen project is really the one large ticket item we're allowing ourselves to splurge on. To that end, we're not cutting corners on the tops at all. The product on the top of the list right now is Sensa Granite from Lowes. It's a real granite with a 15 year stain warranty (no sealing). The style we like runs $75 sq/ft plus machining over the basic eased edge. I think we're going with a full bullnose to keep the kids' skulls from getting cracked on the sharp lippage. I think I have 60 sqft which will probably run me $6000 with radii, bullnose and sink cutout. Lowes has a $500 rebate on this product until May 1st. I was looking at Silestone but the equivalent appearance class will run $90 sq/ft and it only has as 10 year warranty.

I can respect that. We're not planning on being in our house any longer that we HAVE to, so I'm doing the budget for the whole thing as tightly as I can. Just needs to be GOOD, it's not our "forever" house.

I think we already have that. It's called a direct fired mashtun with a false bottom. I can probably cook and drain 40 pounds of pasta in one shot.

Just make sure your SWMBO has already got her cow ground up and ready to go before you do that. They don't seem to find these things as funny as we do. :D

I'm waiting for quotes on our kitchen cupboards too. I'll be knocking out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and making one big massive kitchen. We ruled out the tile floors because if you drop something there will be damage to either the item or the floor. Granite countertops are just way too expensive for this poor boy. I'm looking at $30 a linear foot. SWMBO sure liked the look of your floor, though. Good job.

Yeah, I like the look of the floor, too. We're going to be doing something fairly neutral with the floor, the design lets you use a fairly neutral tile while still keeping it interesting-looking.

Are you guys in this place till old age, or are there more moves in the foreseeable future?

I don't have any plans to move in the near future. We're actually only in this town because it's where I work and knock on wood, I have decent job security. In any case though, even if we were to move in 5 years, the neighborhood supports a higher end kitchen.

I can respect that. We're not planning on being in our house any longer that we HAVE to, so I'm doing the budget for the whole thing as tightly as I can. Just needs to be GOOD, it's not our "forever" house.

In that case I think tiling the counters is a fine alternative. I REALLY recommend Spectralok grout in that instance. Not only will the color match the swatch, but no sealing required. If you go with natural stone tile, you'll need at least two layers of 1/2" plywood and 1/4" hardibacker.

I did this in a kitchen when I knew I was moving in a year:

large.jpg

My wife fell in love with this Corian countertop. It's really nice, I love the feel of it, and the color was perfect for what we're designing. But, $60 a square foot, not including installation (we'd install it outselves anyway)... :eek:

Even just regular laminate isn't that cheap. I figure that I can do a nice stone tile for not much more than it would cost for laminate. I do have to look and see what options there are other than granite; we're looking to get a nice, earthy-red tone more than a classic granite look. Thankfully, there's a great local place right over the border in Vermont with a great showroom, the guys there were wicked helpful in helping me with the first project; we're putting in a new bathroom as well, and they've got some absolutely gorgeous glass tiles that I want to incorporate into the design as well.

FWIW I LOVE corian. My parents have that stuff and it is incredible. You can custom route it, add on, do whatever. It is basically like wood.

My parents have had there counters for 20 years now and they still look brand new. If you ever get a scratch or mark of any kind in the surface, you just sand or buff it out. I really like them.

We'd probably bite the bullet and do it if we were going to be there for twenty years. The plan is another three or four (of course, we've been saying that for... oh, three or four years).

I'm the exact opposite. I dislike Corian because it looks and feels like plastic to me. FWIW, a real granite slab (untreated) can be done for $40-50 a sqft. That's getting closer to Corian but you'll have to seal it yearly.

Ok, it's already been a month and I can't believe how little work I actually get done. Most of the cabinets are in for good except for the island because I'm not 100% sure where it's going yet.

kitchencabs.jpg

kitchenislandcabs.jpg

kitchenbarcabs.jpg

I have 60sqft of countertop quoted out and we're going with real granite. The pricing scales at this one place are from blue to gold. The one we like is a double silver and it got quoted at $43 sqft installed with a free sink. That's quite a bit cheaper than silestone at $89sqft. At that price, I can install brand new slabs in a few years and still be ahead.

$43/sq for a granite slab? Nice. I found a perfect tile for what I'm doing, it'll still be cheaper but all-in that'll probably run me $20 - $25 by the time I get it installed. The guys I was talking to were all still talking ~$100/sq.

We ruled out the tile floors because if you drop something there will be damage to either the item or the floor. Granite countertops are just way too expensive for this poor boy. I'm looking at $30 a linear foot.

We remodeled our kitchen two years ago, keeping the same cabinets but getting new knobs. The lino was glued down all over, so we put down thinset over it and laid 12" and 4" natural slate, doing the install ourselves.
set-72157601158274152
We laid granite tiles over the formica, used the same 4" slate as on the floor for the backsplash, incorporating decorative tiles also.
set-72157601158274152

set-72157601158274152

Doing the labor ourselves saved a bundle, and the marriage survived. :mug:

I just got a quote from kraftmaid for a pair of turned table legs to support a big island overhang. Wait for it....

$260 EACH... That's $520! I'd only pay that if I could beat the CEO of the company over the head with one of them.

I saw that first whole in the ground and though you were doing this.

09_rect540.jpg

OMG ! I think I see something like that in my future ! I am imagining creating a Son Of Ferm chamber powered by some cooling/heating thing, with hydraulics that raise the floor!!!!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back