Why Dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntpepperoni

Reaction score
So I'm about to bottle my first brew and I've got a procedural question. I've read Palmer's How to Brew and various articles about brewing / bottling and most say that you clean, sanitize, dry, then fill the bottles. My plan for bottling was going to be clean, sanitize and then fill, without fully drying the bottles. To be sure I was going to allow extra sanitizer to drain out, but had not planned on spending the time to dry. This should only leave a slight amount of sanitizer in the bottle. Really I'm trying to cut down on the total time spent in the bottling process.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I haven't dried any sanitized items. As long as you're using food grade, no-rinse sanitizer, I can't imagine why it would need to dry.

I never dry my bottles if i'm going to fil them immediately. If I am going to clean and store I make sure the inside is perfectly dry, so as to discourage the growth of nasties.

+1 for no need to dry. If you use star san, allowing it to dry will negate the sanitizing effect. You don't have to worry if you're using a no rinse sanitizer. Also don't fret about getting every last drop out, it is fine to rack your beer if there are still some drops in the bottles.

Are you reading Palmer's how to brew online or in a book? I don't have my copy in front of me, but the online version is not 100% up to date, and there is some out of date methods in there.

Leave 'em wet! Back in my short lived days of using a rinse needed sanitizer I filled them wet, not I don't fear the foam. Life is good.

To be entirely honest I have (and plan to continue) batch cleaning and sanitizing my kegs, pressurize them to ensure proper seal and store them in such a state. When racking time comes, pop the lid, rack, quick spritz on the lid, snap back in place, purge and pull a (different) pint. I see no good reason why one couldn't do the same with swing tops or PET.

To be a little more specific; it depends somewhat on the sanitizer that you use. Starsan, Iodaphor and some others are no rinse sanitizers. If you dry them the equipment is no longer being sanitized.

Others need to be rinsed and may benefit from drying ?

So, with no rinses sanitizers - do not dry the equipment.

I apologize for hijacking this post, but I was curious about the same thing for carboys and buckets. I've read that after cleaning and sanitizing, carboys and/or buckets should be set up to drain and dry as well (I'm assuming before use). I've never found this to be necessary. Does anyone let their FV dry before transferring wort to it?

Back