Why don't they make glass carboys with 4" openings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't they make glass carboys with 4" openings?

All of the advantages of glass but significantly easier to clean (or dry hop)...there have got to be larger size stoppers in the world so what's with the BS 2" hole?

They do....see Northern Brewer big mouth bubbler in glass or plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why don't you ferment your beer in a bucket with a 12 inch opening, a handle to carry it, and no chance of a trip to the emergency room or morgue if you drop it?:D

Why don't you ferment your beer in a bucket with a 12 inch opening, a handle to carry it, and no chance of a trip to the emergency room or morgue if you drop it?:D

I've never been a fan of buckets. Buckets are for slopping the pigs.... :)

Be very careful with the glass version of the big mouth bubbler, I have seen many reports of broken ones due to the thin glass that is used.

Here you go:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/34l-89-gal-wide-mouth-demi-john-glass-carboy-p2088.aspx

widemouth34literdemijohn21.gif

I love these, they are super easy to carry and to clean when using the basket. You can even turn them upside down and shake them.

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered two big mouth bubblers. They will fit perfectly in my new craigslist-purchased fermentation chamber... ;)

img_20141014_064443_814-63994.jpg

I got the glass 6.5 and love it. Glass isn't as thick as a normal carboy but it's not that thin. Hope works for you.

Back