Why does Everyone Love DHB 60 Min. IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"the only IPA's I've had are DFH and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale once"
SNPA is an APA, not an IPA.

Huh, don't know why I said it was an IPA, when it clearly isn't. I was a little tired while posting, and it's been a long time since I've had a SNPA.

As for the Blue Moon, yeah, totally not a craft beer, but it is drinkable, and has a little flavor to it. Then again, I have mixed feelings about beers you have to add citrus to to make it drinkable (Blue Moon, Corona).

Huh, don't know why I said it was an IPA, when it clearly isn't. I was a little tired while posting, and it's been a long time since I've had a SNPA.

As for the Blue Moon, yeah, totally not a craft beer, but it is drinkable, and has a little flavor to it. Then again, I have mixed feelings about beers you have to add citrus to to make it drinkable (Blue Moon, Corona).

Corona is horrible beer. The more lemon you add to it, the better it gets. 100% lemon is optimal.
Blue moon is drinkable, but it is a poser beer(beers manufactured by mega breweries masquerading as a micro).

I prefer the 75 minute....although it was only on cask for awhile.....they blended the 60 and 90

I brewed a clone of 75 and it was really good

I prefer the 75 minute....although it was only on cask for awhile.....they blended the 60 and 90

I brewed a clone of 75 and it was really good

Yeah...I had forgotten about that one...I never got to try it, although I saw the mini-kegs of it when I was at the brewery last summer. I think they dry-hopped in the keg, didn't they?

This is the craft beer drinker's modern iteration of the "tastes great!" . . . "less filling!" -
90 minute!
60 minute!
90 minute!
60 minute!

What's most interesting about DFH beers in general is that more than any other beer, they seem to provoke statements of opinion as fact. No idea why this is the case, but what follows is almost always interesting. The best way to read the comments is to mentally add "In my opinion..." in front of every statement.

In my opinion, DFH60 is one of the best IPAs around, but in my opinion, 90 is too harsh.

Try them and make up your own mind, and try the Punkin Ale - it's excellent.

After reading this thread the other day I picked up a bottle of the 60. I really liked it. Very hoppy but well balanced. My wife really liked it, too.
She also liked, but couldn't finish the glass of Phillips Amnesiac IIPA I poured her, which was also delicious.

DFH60 is definitely at or near the top. 90 is also great. The 60 is just clean and crisp and the hop bite is wonderful without being overpowering. I've been to their pub in Rehobeth DE but never tried the 120. I hear it's great. I'm also a big fan of Victory HopDevil and Hop Wallop--I go to the brewery every chance I get--my LHBS is around the corner.

DFH 60 is a very good but not great IPA. I drink it on occasion.

DFH 90 is mislabeled Barleywine and it's not very good at that. It also allows me to imagine how awful DFH 120 must be.

Simcoe and amarillo hops together are like heaven in your mouth. My DFH 60 minute clone is my all-time favorite homebrew. It's hoppy goodness, but not "heavy" or "thick" and it's not too bitter. It's quaffable, and easy drinking.

Back