why do so many people F with kit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I buy a kit, it's because I want to try that specific beer. Therefor I do not mess with the kit. Anything can happen on the second round.

why do so many people F with kit beer?

because they want to

I am also a noob. Going to bottle my first batch tomorrow. I do plan on experimenting with various steeping grains and hopefully move to all grain. I will not be adding candy to any beer though.

For the same reason I take apart and reassemble pretty much any piece of machinery I own. Usually in the process i think of a way I can mod it to my liking and go for it. If it works, good, I'll mess with it again or do the same to something else. If it doesn't work, I won't do the same thing again.

Same question can be posed as to why people modify cars. Some do it, break stuff n wonder why. Some do it well and are happy with the result. Could say "if I wanted a car with 400hp I would've bought it that way" others say "I think I can get 400hp out of what Ive got, let's try"

I am still a noob so don't take this as harsh...but I read soooo many posts about people adding all kinds of crap to their kit beer,,stuff like coca powder,mint,honey,candy,,and much more. And then they post about "off flavors",,, Well DUH !!! I have never had a commercial beer witch was "flavored" that I enjoyed. I like beer to taste like beer not candy. maybe I am missing something?

I'm going to just leave this here.

SwampassJ said:

Hah! Hilariously hypocritical.

I like regular beer too, but a chocolate stout is fantastic. An authentic raspberry (framboise) lambic is absolutely amazing. And my own personal Coconut Rum-Barrel Tropical Stout is a damn fine beer.

For those people who have said that once you add extra stuff like this, your "beer" is no longer really beer, I can't imagine a more retarded attitude to have as a homebrewer. Not just because I disagree that it becomes something other than beer, but because even if it did, why would it matter? If something tastes good... brew it! Just because you identify yourself as a homebrewer who makes beer, you're somehow completely unable (or unwilling) to brew/drink something that simply falls outside of an arbitrary definition? How silly...

Do yourself a favor and focus on brewing for enjoyment, not ridiculous semantics. If you just don't enjoy beers (or whatever you want to call them) with anything other than grain, hops, water, and yeast, then that's fine... but avoiding other ingredients simply because you don't define the resulting product as "beer" is flat-out absurd.

I am still a noob so don't take this as harsh...but I read soooo many posts about people adding all kinds of crap to their kit beer,,stuff like coca powder,mint,honey,candy,,and much more. And then they post about "off flavors",,, Well DUH !!! I have never had a commercial beer witch was "flavored" that I enjoyed. I like beer to taste like beer not candy. maybe I am missing something?

Hahhaahah ! My wife thinks every beer I make is too hoppy, and she thinks that the beers should be sweet and taste like a candy bar. It drives me nuts !

Every time I see a post by someone wanting to know how much coffee to add to their beer I think of Drew Carey's Cap-Beer-Cino.

But I'd suppose the main reason people do this with kits is that new brewers tend to start with kits and yet they still want to add their own touch to their beer. Another reason could be that many new brewers want to make something they think their wife or friends would like so they feel adding cherry, strawberry, chocolate or some other flavoring will do the trick.

The same reason people alter a cooking recipes. They think they can make it better. On a forum you generally only get questions when something goes very wrong. You don't hear about all the success stories.

Baldy_Beer_Brewery said:
Every time I see a post by someone wanting to know how much coffee to add to their beer I think of Drew Carey's Cap-Beer-Cino.

I haven't seen the show since it ended, well before I started this hobby, and while I have thought of Buzz Beer occasionally in response to homebrewing discussions, posts about coffee beers have surprisingly never spurred it (though now I'm sure it will everytime!) Probably because coffee beers really aren't all that unusual, even comnercially. Though granted, they're usually porters and stouts, and IIRC, that one was SOMEHOW a very light-colored beer.

One thing for sure though is that I'd KILL to have the system they used, assuming I remember it correctly :)

Oddly enough, I don't seem to remember seeing any actual *brewing* take place.

I am still a noob so don't take this as harsh... witch was "flavored" that I enjoyed........maybe I am missing something?

MY GOD!!!!! we are some insensetive ass-hats.

THERE IS A WITCH FORBIDDING HIM TO F WITH HIS KITS AND WE ALL MISSED HIS CRY FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

A "flavored" witch to boot!

Push her into the pot brother!!!!! DO IT!!!!!!

THAT would be an adjunct to remember by god!

Give her what for.

I think the key to doing this correctly, is to brew the beer once straight up, no additions, to see what the blank slate tastes like. Then if you want to add stuff you know what the added ingredients are contributing to the flavor. This would help you with recipie creation more than anything.

The same reason people alter a cooking recipes. They think they can make it better. On a forum you generally only get questions when something goes very wrong. You don't hear about all the success stories.

Often times someone new at cooking will tend to focus on what ingredients they can add that result in great flavor, instead of focusing on cooking techniques. You can come up with a great dry rub recipe, but if it's sitting on dried out, overcooked chicken, it's not going to be good.

Someone new at brewing would probably be better served experimenting with some small batch SMASH beers and different yeast strains instead of looking for something cool to throw in the brew kettle. Experimentation is great, but get the basics down first.

I am not ready to make my own creations yet ,,but I always thought it would be cool to make a beer flavored with things found in my back yard such as wild berries maple leaves and acorns . I know it sounds CRAZY but I just have to know!

That's good stuff...

I like using kits to try to dial in my process. I am also learning how different things affect flavors in certain ways. I've tried several kits...some i've really liked and some I haven't. I've kept notes along the way and will more than likely re-brew some that I've liked to maybe use as a "base" to experiment with.

To each their own, though. Flavor your beer with acorns or drink your "non-flavored" commercial beer. That's the cool thing about living in this country...we have a lot of freedoms.

:mug:

Often times someone new at cooking will tend to focus on what ingredients they can add that result in great flavor, instead of focusing on cooking techniques. You can come up with a great dry rub recipe, but if it's sitting on dried out, overcooked chicken, it's not going to be good.

Someone new at brewing would probably be better served experimenting with some small batch SMASH beers and different yeast strains instead of looking for something cool to throw in the brew kettle. Experimentation is great, but get the basics down first.

Oh I fully agree. Get the basics down before you start experimenting. But to each their own.

MY GOD!!!!! we are some insensetive ass-hats.

THERE IS A WITCH FORBIDDING HIM TO F WITH HIS KITS AND WE ALL MISSED HIS CRY FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

A "flavored" witch to boot!

Push her into the pot brother!!!!! DO IT!!!!!!

THAT would be an adjunct to remember by god!

Give her what for.

Holy HELL!!!! A witch ale would be awesome!

It would be better though if you could "dry witch" rather than adding her to the boil, HOWEVER, adding a live witch, kicking and screaming into a carboy might be hazardous.

Holy HELL!!!! A witch ale would be awesome!

It would be better though if you could "dry witch" rather than adding her to the boil, HOWEVER, adding a live witch, kicking and screaming into a carboy might be hazardous.

Actually a live witch can be used to dry witch many times, as long as she is agreeable and you like the aroma she imparts.

Alot of people want to make something unique that they can share with people and say "I added x ingredient, it really made it good". I have to agree it doesn't feel as personal to say "I bought this stuff and followed the directions and made this beer". Just like with cooking, people want to leave their personal mark.

For me, every kit I've ever "tweaked" has come out crappy. I've decided when I do kits, leave it alone. If I want to do my own thing, just start the beer from scratch :)

Some of the stuff people do on here is pretty funny though. "I brewed a blonde ale and added a couple pounds of Choco malt extract and 4 lbs of honey". Dang... :D But hey, if they're happy with the results, who's to complain?

Personally, I don't care about fruits, chocolate or various herbs in beer, because a lot of the commercial beers I have tried that do this do it as a gimmick. Thus they turn up the taste to 11 and it ends up being too much of a possibly good thing. Dieu du Ciel brewery has a beer brewed with hemp and it smells awful.

Many like experimenting with weird ingredients. I don't, but I'm not some style nazi either.

OP, I bet your favorite ice cream flavor is "by god" vanilla...

amiright?

jfr1111 said:
Personally, I don't care about fruits, chocolate or various herbs in beer, because a lot of the commercial beers I have tried that do this do it as a gimmick. Thus they turn up the taste to 11 and it ends up being too much of a possibly good thing. Dieu du Ciel brewery has a beer brewed with hemp and it smells awful.

Many like experimenting with weird ingredients. I don't, but I'm not some style nazi either.

Dieu du Ciel also has a nice beer that's flavored with hibiscus. And their most famous and popular beer (rated as the #1 in Canadian by the ratings sites) happens to be a RIS with coffee.

And chocolate, IMO, is not as gimmicky in most beers like other ingredients (eg chile peppers) can be. Don't know how anybody can dislike Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

I have thought of Buzz Beer occasionally in response to homebrewing discussions,

It has been a damn long time since I've seen it either. Now that you mention the Buzz Beeer, I think the Cap-Beer_Chino was someone trying to compete with Drew and his friends wasn't it?

please do not get me wrong,if you are on your 10th kit ,,by all means try new things,,,,I was just saying people have posted about their first and second batch tasting bad then they reveal all kinds of crazy additions and changes. I am sure one year from now I will try something,,noting candy- like but something none the less. The only beer that had a flavor I liked was one that was made with some kind of maple leaf(forget the name) but that is where my other question came from. For now I will just follow my kits instructions to a T,,then if it tastes bad it will not be as hard to narrow down.

I did not start this to offend anybody,I was simply asking a question,,please don't hate :)

please do not get me wrong,if you are on your 10th kit ,,by all means try new things,,,,I was just saying people have posted about their first and second batch tasting bad then they reveal all kinds of crazy additions and changes. I am sure one year from now I will try something,,noting candy- like but something none the less. The only beer that had a flavor I liked was one that was made with some kind of maple leaf(forget the name) but that is where my other question came from. For now I will just follow my kits instructions to a T,,then if it tastes bad it will not be as hard to narrow down.

I did not start this to offend anybody,I was simply asking a question,,please don't hate :)

Careful with following the instructions, some that go by a timeframe will have you transferring before terminal gravity is hit.

Whenever I make a fruity or candy kinda beer, it is for SWMBO. If she doesn't like them, though, I happily drink them myself. They still produce the proper BUZZZZZZ!

I'm sure the first guy who thought to put hops in beer had the same initial reaction. Or the guy that isolated and proclaimed an organism made it possible for the alcoholic beverage, and then to go on further and cultivate it.

Without these kinds of people who think outside of the box and experiment we would be still drinking a very gnarly mead right now... But then you could venture further and argue the first person that added herbs and flowers with honey :D

...or the 1st guy to drink that nasty lookin mess in the grain storage jug after it got rained on while out huntin. They musta thought he had rocks in his head too. Guess I have to digress.

I love a good chocolate porter/stout/bock, and coriander and orange are great in wit's, and how did we come to this conclusion? Some crazed brewer experimenting and pushing the limits. Who knows what random item will be the next big thing, unless we try?

That said, I've had a lot of beers that were spiced far from what my pallet can appreciate, while the brewmaster really enjoyed them, so you definitely have to account for different tastes as well.

NO HATE.

I honestly thought you meant "why do so many people bother with kits?" from the title.

I never bother with buying kits, and I could see that viewpoint as valid, if not a little harsh.

So when I got in and it was sounding more like "who in their right mind would change something in a kit?" I was ready for some playful noob harassment......

:mug:

Homebrewer conversation, circa 1424:

"What hath the Dutch done, marrying good ale with the vile hop?"

"It is an abomination which the tongue doth surely reject!"

"Hold your curses, knaves! For taste is truly in the mouth of the beerholder!" (Phrase was eventually misused and altered, just as Ben Franklin's was.)
^ = Hilarious

I don't mind someone changing a recipe or adding to a recipe. I just dont like it when people add something to one of my recipes then they go on my website to make a bad review. They say it doesnt taste good and oh by the way I added a half a pot of coffee to it. Why leave a bad review of my kit that you terribly altered?

I also don't like the assumption that no matter how hard I try the recipe for my kit cant be good or good enough because kits suck.

Kits are just a combination of ingredients just like the ones you put together.

I embrace change and welcome it.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
I don't mind someone changing a recipe or adding to a recipe. I just dont like it when people add something to one of my recipes then they go on my website to make a bad review. They say it doesnt taste good and oh by the way I added a half a pot of coffee to it. Why leave a bad review of my kit that you terribly altered?

I also don't like the assumption that no matter how hard I try the recipe for my kit cant be good or good enough because kits suck.

Kits are just a combination of ingredients just like the ones you put together.

I embrace change and welcome it.

Forrest

I just bought the American IPA (I). Its my first kit from AHS and I'm pumped about it. I promise I won't screw with it. Can't say I'll do everything right, but that will be my fault.

Back