Why do none of my starters have krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
My starters all fizz like soda or beer head when they ferment, without the krausen that I'm used to in my full-sized worts. I can't remember the last time I made a starter that had a real krausen. Most fermentations have been OK. Is this normal for starter fermentation, or am I doing something wrong?

Weird, I always get it. I even have to keep an eye on my stirplate when doing step ups with Wyeast german ale 1007. 2 liters in a gallon jug is almost guaranteed to foam over.

Of over a dozen starters with tubes, smack packs or bottle harvesting, I have ever only seen one Krauzen or "activity ring"

Just like in the fermenter, fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen.In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

How do you aerate your starter wort?
How do you aerate your 'full-sized' beer worts?

I get krausen on starters and full brews so I'm curious...and aeration was the first thing I thought of.

Back