Why Do I Have This All-Grain Urge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question: What is a $12 no-chill vessel??

Check here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23285&clickid=redirect
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23848&clickid=redirect

I found out about them from the awesome No Chill thread here (see 1st post there):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/

I've used it for 2 batches now, plus I've drank about 6-7 other brewers' no chill beer and I think its a fantastic technique. Saves a ton of time and mess.

The only beer I wouldn't do No Chill on would be one with a ton of hops in the 15-flameout time range. You can do First Wort Hopping + Dry Hopping to compensate for that flavor range some though. But porters, stouts, hefes, belgians, bitters, browns, milds & more can all be done no chill with no problem.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but that's crap. You don't need to "ease into" anything. I know plenty of people that never brewed an extract brew in their life- they started out with AG, and they make great beer. And partial mashes? A big waste of time, unless you have some kind of space limitation. You go through all the motions of mashing, sparging, etc, and then you add extract????? HUH???

Jim, if you are serious, get the equipment you need, do some research, maybe find a recipe you think you might like, and jump in. It's easy.

I totally agree. I started brewing last year and went straight into AG. The only thing I use extracts for is making starters and bottling. After making several 5gal batches I upgraded to a 10gal system and am loving it. It does take a few more tools and and little more reading to get into but it is well worth it.:mug:

Well I started brewing with my friends a few years back. We started on extracts and then moved into partial mashing. In the second year we did a few partial mashes then went into all grain. I myself partial mash when I brew alone. I do not have all grain down 100% yet, I should soon though.

Where I am moving to in San Diego I will have a huge outside deck with an overhang and a giant closet for storage. This will help me set up my all grain brewing. I just bought two more burners, two keggles and a new mlt. Cant wait to get it all going.

Well I started brewing with my friends a few years back. We started on extracts and then moved into partial mashing. In the second year we did a few partial mashes then went into all grain. I myself partial mash when I brew alone. I do not have all grain down 100% yet, I should soon though.

Brewing friends - a great idea! I just started this a month ago and have just done it myself.

Where I am moving to in San Diego I will have a huge outside deck with an overhang and a giant closet for storage. This will help me set up my all grain brewing. I just bought two more burners, two keggles and a new mlt. Cant wait to get it all going.

Sounds like you are going to have a great set-up in San Diego!!!

Step 1 is DONE! - Today, I bought the 10 gal Rubbermaid beverage cooler and all the hardware to make my MLT. I'll assemble it this week. Saved $40 over the cost of buying the same thing from my LHBS! That savings will pay for a batch or two of all-grain!

Pretty much, I am ready to brew my first all-grain. I suppose I'll be using infusion mashing rather than step mashing with my set up. I will have to use two kettle on the stove like I described in a post above. From what I have read, this means I should use fully modified malt. Do I have this right?

Any suggestions for a 1st all-grain? I don't have the temperature control required for lagers, so I'm talking about ale's, which I love! Anything like a 60 IBU would not work for me (a little two bitter for my taste at this time). I will be using dry yeast, because it is what I'm used to.

Step 1 is DONE! From what I have read, this means I should use fully modified malt. Do I have this right?

Any suggestions for a 1st all-grain? I don't have the temperature control required for lagers, so I'm talking about ale's, which I love! Anything like a 60 IBU would not work for me (a little two bitter for my taste at this time). I will be using dry yeast, because it is what I'm used to.

Yes, you need to use fully modified malt.

A classic good, basic beer is Edwort's Pale Ale, over in the Pale Ale section of "Recipes". It's wildly popular, is relatively easy to brew and it's inexpensive.

OK, now for a few final suggestions:

I suggest you look at one of the "first all grain" pictoral threads, like this one here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-grain-tutorial-nut-brown-ale-77705/ if you haven't already done so.

Also, using dry yeast like Nottingham or Safale US-05 is just fine. But do pay attention to your ferment temperature, and don't let it get too hot. Try and keep it fermenting at the low end of whatever yeast you use, and you'll get a great, clean beer. I only mention this because you stated you don't have temperature control, but you can control it during the active ferment with just a wet towel wrapped around it. (Not to lager temps, of course)

Also, if you aren't already doing it, using brewing software helps immensely. Most have 30 day trials, or have a free version, so don't hesitate to use them. Plus there are alot of web sites with calculators for hitting your mash temps, which is also important.

Good Luck!
Rich

Also, using dry yeast like Nottingham or Safale US-05 is just fine. But do pay attention to your ferment temperature, and don't let it get too hot. Try and keep it fermenting at the low end of whatever yeast you use, and you'll get a great, clean beer. I only mention this because you stated you don't have temperature control, but you can control it during the active ferment with just a wet towel wrapped around it. (Not to lager temps, of course)

Also, if you aren't already doing it, using brewing software helps immensely. Most have 30 day trials, or have a free version, so don't hesitate to use them. Plus there are alot of web sites with calculators for hitting your mash temps, which is also important.

Good Luck!
Rich

Thanks for the suggestions, Rich. I can control temp to 62-65 so fermentation should be ok. I've been using BeerTools. I'll look into other software, as well.

Step 1 is DONE! - Today, I bought the 10 gal Rubbermaid beverage cooler and all the hardware to make my MLT. I'll assemble it this week. Saved $40 over the cost of buying the same thing from my LHBS! That savings will pay for a batch or two of all-grain!

Completed the MLT tonight. Could wait until the weekend. See pics:

0105002127.jpg

0105002128.jpg

Now, I'm looking for that good recipe.....

Go all Grain I brewed extract for two years cause I was scared to go AG. Its easy, funner, and you get better resulsts. No Brainer!

FWIW, I just swapped out my SS braid. I originally had the 18"x1/2" (I think) sink/faucet connector like you have in your picture. After quite a few stuck sparges in my first two batches I went into the water heater section of HD and picked up the 18"x3/4" (or maybe it was 1" -- the biggest one they had at any rate) SS water heater braided connector. This last batch was the quickest sparge I'd ever seen. Now THAT'S batch sparging! I used plastic zip-ties to hold it onto a piece of vinyl tubing one one end (to connect to the barb) and to a 1/2" brass nut on the other end.

FWIW, I just swapped out my SS braid. I originally had the 18"x1/2" (I think) sink/faucet connector like you have in your picture. After quite a few stuck sparges in my first two batches I went into the water heater section of HD and picked up the 18"x3/4" (or maybe it was 1" -- the biggest one they had at any rate) SS water heater braided connector. This last batch was the quickest sparge I'd ever seen. Now THAT'S batch sparging! I used plastic zip-ties to hold it onto a piece of vinyl tubing one one end (to connect to the barb) and to a 1/2" brass nut on the other end.

Thanks for the info. I may have to go this way if what I have doesn't work

"I may have to go this way if what I have doesn't work"

Jim, from your picture it looks like you are developing "kink" midway along the SS braid which is what happened to me (twice). From my experience this was not good. You might want to either swap that out before you run into trouble or have a replacement ready in the event that you need to

I am having pretty good luck with the Watkins SS braid that I put in but I did have a stuck sparge (briefly) that resulted from some dry dough along the braid. Actually ran the mash paddle gently along the SS braid (could feel it through the paddle) to loosen things up and that did the trick because it flowed like crazy after that.

Any major problems in the future and I am going to try the 3/4" water heater braid that was mentioned. Montanaandy

Back