Why boil? AND 210*F vs Rolling boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schadelh

Reaction score
Why do we boil our extracts (and finished sparge water)? I know that we need nice high temperature to steep our hops, but is there anything beyond that? Does it help break down complex sugars into more easily fermentable ones? Will yeast be able to consume these complex sugars at any (if not slower) rate?

AND

A rolling boil can get messy, especially in an apartment on an electric range with a 20qt cheap-o brewpot. Will a 210*F almost-boil do the same things for the sugars and hops as a rolling 212*F boil?

I ask because during my last brew I overestimated the amount of water I would loose while sparging, and underestimated the amount of volume I would gain from the extracts, so I had to remove about 1 or 2 quarts of sparged and lightly malted wort (maybe 5# of my extracts got in, on a 5 gallon batch). I put it in the fermenter because, hey, who wants to waste good wort? So about 2qt worth (with maybe 1/2# of malt plus 1/16th-1/20th of the total sparge) of wort didn't get the 90 minute boil.

Also, to avoid boilover (which would piss off SWMBO), once I added all my extracts I only kept the temp at about 205*F to 210*F and stirred often rather than keeping it at a rolling 212*F boil. do the extra 2-7*F really make much difference?

I know, I know, RDWHAHB. I have been relaxing, and watching the airlock happily bubbling away for 3 or 4 days now, so I know I didn't kill the batch or anything, I am just wondering if this will have any effects on my final product.

If you don't fully boil you have to stir A LOT. The sugars will stick to the bottom if it doesn't fully boil. What constitutes a 'rolling' boil might be a little subjective, I just make sure it's moving on its own so I don't have to stir. I don't add any more heat than it takes to do that.

RDWHAHB, then go read the book that that phrase came from. :)

I'm curious, you made a few references to sparging. Sparging is an all grain process where sugars are rinsed from already mashed grains. If you are extract brewing you really aren't sparging anything. I'm guessing that you are refering to steeping speciality grains.

Seriously, get a copy of the "Complete Joy of Home Brewing", its a great resource.

RDWHAHB, then go read the book that that phrase came from. :)

I'm curious, you made a few references to sparging. Sparging is an all grain process where sugars are rinsed from already mashed grains. If you are extract brewing you really aren't sparging anything. I'm guessing that you are refering to steeping speciality grains.

Seriously, get a copy of the "Complete Joy of Home Brewing", its a great resource.

Been reading the book in my free time (too bad chemical engineering textbooks are sucking up good pleasure reading time).

I had about 3# of specialty grains, 5# amber LME, 2# honey, and 3# dark DME. I used Deathbrewers easy partial mash procedure for the specialty grains. He called it sparging, so I call it sparging, maybe I/we are not using the term correctly? :confused:

spray bottle is good. So are a couple of drops of Fermcap-S - magic!

Hop Isomerization? - breaking down the alpha acids in the hops so they bind with the water molecules - something like that... which is why we boil for an hour for the bittering hops, and hops toward the end of the boil only contribute aroma and flavor.

For preventing boil over: FERMCAP. Seriously. Best investment you'll ever make. I promise.

I went by my LHBS the other day and wanted some Fermcap-S after reading about it on here, and they had never even heard of it :( I hope they get some soon. I hate to get pinged with shipping on small orders like that.

I went by my LHBS the other day and wanted some Fermcap-S after reading about it on here, and they had never even heard of it :( I hope they get some soon. I hate to get pinged with shipping on small orders like that.

better order a kit or two with it then:mug: seriously, the stuff is great. remove heat, make additions, and crank the heat again. rolling boil, no stirring, and no foam.

better order a kit or two with it then:mug: seriously, the stuff is great. remove heat, make additions, and crank the heat again. rolling boil, no stirring, and no foam.

I know, sounds like great stuff!

I have a few things on my list to order soon. If my LHBS doesn't get it before then, I'll just order it.

Just got my fermcap today, actually it's called 5 star defoamer, but its the same thing. I got it with an order from AHS. Never used it before, never seen it used, but started boiling a starter a few minutes ago, one drop in it. No foam no worries about boil over. I can type this while it is boiling, amazing stuff.

Back