Why are people not using these PIDs/SSR/Heatsinks/probes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a package. I guess this represents the difference between American and Chinese manufacturing. I have not had any issues with few pieces of Chinese equipment that I have.

do a search for the REX C100 on here, and you will find out why there are drawbacks to that PID.

do a search for the REX C100 on here, and you will find out why there are drawbacks to that PID.

what I have read thus far is people were not receiving ones that were meant for SSR output even though the auction was labeled as SSR output but I would think if they included an SSR in the auction it would certainly be a SSR output PID but again there are shady people out there.

I looked at the pdf manual and could not tell, but most of these read in C only, and do not have a manual mode.

may or may not be inmportant to some, for the record, I bought one, but decided I wold go with the MyPin version, it is only a few $$ more and has all the features I wanted. Still have my REX sitting around the house somewhere.

BLUF: it is a good deal if it meets your needs!

I looked at the pdf manual and could not tell, but most of these read in C only, and do not have a manual mode.

may or may not be inmportant to some, for the record, I bought one, but decided I wold go with the MyPin version, it is only a few $$ more and has all the features I wanted. Still have my REX sitting around the house somewhere.

BLUF: it is a good deal if it meets your needs!

that is a good explanation, manual control is definitely needed so does the MyPin one have manual control? I see a thread where Kal says it does not.

There are 2 main versions of the MyPin the TA and TD versions. IIRC the TA does not have the Manual, and the TD does.

Tim

Also to note is that probe that comes with the package deal is not water tight, if you drill a hole in your pot and bolt it up like a weldless fitting it will leak out where the cable enters the nut/screw part.

Hi,

I’ve went for a similar deal on ebay, turned out it wasn’t such a smart move after all..

The description of the product way wrong, i.e.
- It was stated that the PID also supported PT100 probes, but it didn’t
- There were no alarm2
- Some of the choices in the PID menu weren’t even available, for example you couldn’t set the decimal point (so it only displayed any decimals, and since I use Celsius that was a real bummer)

Also, the probe that was part of the packet wasn’t waterproof (between the thread and the probe itself)

The delivery took like 8 weeks or so, but perhaps it’s faster to the US (I live in Sweden)

So, I ended up using the SSR and the heatsink together with a new PID from Auber.

Don’t get me wrong, I still source lots of stuff from China via ebay or aliexpress (switches, power supplies, connectors that sort of thing) and they have all been very good. But this PID wasn’t.

Regards

Daniel

If you ever get anything off eBay that is not as advertised, file a claim stating the product is not as advertised. The Chinese direct retailers will refund your money immediately.

Back