Why are my flow rates different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
I recently did the Sanyo 4912 conversion and the kegging went pretty well. I have two corny kegs, a dual regulator co2 setup. I kegged up a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein, and approx 4 gallons of amber ale.

I decided to carb them at 30 psi for 24 hours, then tune it back to 10 psi for a few days and see how it went. The amber ale was at 8psi for some reason after the second day, so I bumped it back up to 10. The apfelwein we ended up drinking on the first night so I figured it would slowly carb over time and I'm not worried about that.

I know at this point I need to measure the temp of the fridge so I can more accurately carb up. But regardless the apfelwein is flowing about 15-20 percent faster rate than the amber ale. I checked all the hoses, clamps, and pressures and everything looks identical between the two. Is there any reason why the flow rates are so different? Should I just keep increasing the pressure until it flows at the proper rate?

the Apfelwein is less viscous than the Amber Ale, so it is passing through the lines with less resistance. (assuming your liquid lines are the same lenght.

that is my guess.....

I wouldn't change the pressure, just to change flow rate, it will change your carbonation level.

Yeah the lines are exactly the same length. I guess I thought the beer would dispense faster. I suppose it might appear to have more body exiting the tap when it is fully carbed. Who knows.

little hop bits get stuck in teh keg post really easy too
the spring in there stops them

Back