Why are Hefeweizen cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennanwt5

Reaction score
Only on my second batch and I am making an American Hefe (White Labs WLP320) using an extract package from my local homebrew store.

That said... I always wanted to know why are Hefeweizen cloudy? Is it the yeast still in suspension due to low flocculation? Wouldn't that give you mad gas if this was the case?

Would love to know!

Warren

It's a combination of the low flocculation yeast & the wheat malt's natural cloudiness. It's all part of the flavor profile as well.

What Union said and yes you will be very flatulent if you drink a good bit of Hefe. You can strain it to get a Crystal Hefe but it will no longer conform to the correct Hefe Weizen profile if you do that. When I rack from the fermenter to the bottles I always use extra care to allow as many of the solids to fall to the bottom and stay there by not stiring or letting the racking cane get too close to the bottom of the fermenter. I also transfer my finished brew to a separate racking container to add the priming sugar to the bottles so I have lots of room to settle the brew as much as possible during handling. The biggest key to a great Hefe is patience when handling it so it doesn't get too agitated and transfer a lot of trub.

Bob

I first learned the rolling bit from Cooper's forums a couple years ago. they were specific with pics & all. Ithink they take it seriously? ;)

Back