Who's drinking what for Turkey day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I always like to check in with everyone and see what you all have planned to drink for the big day tomorrow?

I'm trying to get a sub 4% bitter to finish up so I can have it on tap for the day drinking while we cook everything. I also have a milk stout on tap for dessert, a few celebration ales and SNPA. We aren't hosting or going anywhere this year so my stash is on the small side for a change.

And as a bonus if anyone is doing any cool Turkey roasting/smoking/frying/etc... tricks do tell. I'm always game to hear how people like to cook their bird.

Here's hoping everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving! Cheers!

We did Thanksgiving yesterday. Normally, we would have had sweet tea or water, but forgot to brew the tea. So, everyone drank my hard apple cider that had just finished carbing up. It was greatly enjoyed.

I will have some options, homebrew neipa and marzen on tap, grabbed a stone variety pack and some founders all day ipa, and i alwaya have some busch lite and pbr in the fridge. i will be smoking my turkey, it is brining til about 3am when ill get up to throw in in the smoker. ill put some of the marzen on the rack below it for added flavor and moisture.

Well everyone requested my annual Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving. So I made one last month and it is hitting it's peak in the keg (spices melded and blended very well) and it will be served tomorrow. Might have to have a single malt Scotch to go with a nice cigar after dinner too!

John

I've got some bottles of a west coast ipa and my first milk stout sitting in the fridge. I'm thinking the stout will be perfect with dessert. As far as commercial beer, I have a six pack of Three Taverns Night on Ponce IPA, which is my favorite local beer. We're bubbling with another family for child care purposes, so they're coming over. Hopefully they like beer!

Thanksgiving is one of the few days I don't drink beer. I will have some Port while I make Dinner. We have a couple of 20 year old St Emilion Gran Crus that we plan to have with the meal, and I have some Armagnac to round out the day.

Small gathering, just my wife, 2 adult Daughters, and myself.

...... and then maybe a beer to end the day!!!

Small gathering here as well, just the local son, dil, and the newest addition to our family coming over from 10 miles away for dinner. We'll be Skyping with the other family branches this year.

As for beer...

taplist_26nov2020.jpg

Cheers! (And Happy Holidays! :mug: )

On tap right now I have:
Honey Nut Cheerios Lager
House Pale
(Has yet to be named) beer

I think I will will drink them in order and repeat said order. I will keep going until I run out of room or forget the order.

Happy turkey day everyone! :)

Nice light WF lager to sip on while I'm cooking, and a Sabro/Citra IPA that just finished carbing to switch it up a bit. Bought a bottle of wine for each of us to have with dinner; Moscato for the husband (he likes sweet stuff) and a nice riesling for me. Holiday Ale for dessert; it's not quite aged enough yet, but nice and spicy to complement dutch apple pie for me, and nasty icky orange squash pie (I HATE pumpkin) for the husband. Just the two of us this year; my sister usually hosts turkey day, but we're all staying at home this year.

Up early this morning because the 20lb bird refused to completely thaw out in the fridge for 5 days; so my 12g brew kettle is doing double duty as the thawing vessel. Dumped the bird in and filled it with cold water, will change it out after 30 minutes (using my old pump to drain it) and should be all nice and thawed out. Just doing the basics for dinner; turkey, mashed taters (with heavy cream and homemade butter, omg yum), gravy, and plain green beans since husband doesn't like traditional green bean casserole. Oh, and king's hawaiian rolls with lots of aforementioned homemade butter. For those of you with visions of me struggling with an old-timey butter churn, that's not it; I do it in the food processor, takes about 10 minutes. Excited to use my instant pot for the potatoes, never thought of using it before, they'll only take about 20 minutes start to finish. I am HUNGRY.

Bloody Mary to start the day Boston lager for the day drinking and Johnny ?Walker black label for dessert, my next batch won't be ready for a week.

I'll be drinking the last three of my brew #270. "Santa's Helper,' brew #271, won't have been in the bottle for two weeks until December 1st. I am facing possible dehydration. At least I don't have to share any of the last three: we aren't having or going to a gathering this Thanksgiving.

By the way, I always try to toast my Mayflower ancestors who were at the first Thanksgiving. Stephen Hopkins and Constance, his daughter by his first wife, were there. Stephen wasn't a Pilgrim, he was recruited because he had been to America before. Stephen was in court a number of times including one time for selling beer on Sunday and another time for allowing drunkeness in his store/tavern.

Last edited:
All these years and I've never tried a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Well, a friend gave me a bottle on Tuesday so I put it in the fridge for today. Besides that I have a couple homebrews on tap that I will try to make a dent in.

nasty icky orange squash pie (I HATE pumpkin)

what about sweet potatoes?

-----

I'm still working on my brown rice stout. just me for thanksgiving, think i'm going to have a french dip. wash down some ground brown flax seeds with milk, eat some kale chips. and MAYBE fry up some sweet potato fries.

unexciting i know, but my life is a bore.

All your stories were to read though! :mug:

what about sweet potatoes?

-----

I'm still working on my brown rice stout. just me for thanksgiving, think i'm going to have a french dip. wash down some ground brown flax seeds with milk, eat some kale chips. and MAYBE fry up some sweet potato fries.

unexciting i know, but my life is a bore.

All your stories were to read though! :mug:
Sweet potatoes are almost as bad as pumpkin in my book.....yuck!!!

By the way, I always try to toast my Mayflower ancestors who were at the first Thanksgiving. Stephen Hopkins and Constance, his daughter by his first wife, were there.
I’ll join you in a toast to the pilgrims at the first thanksgiving. :mug: I’m a direct descendant of five of them. Edward and Mrs. Fuller & son Samuel, Richard Warren and Francis Cooke & son John. Edward Fuller’s brother Samuel was also there and is a very distant cousin. It’s actually a very interesting story of survival since only half of them survived the first winter. It seems kinda cool to say I’m a descendant, but almost 30 million people can trace a branch of their family tree to the original 102 passengers and 30 crew members of the Mayflower.

i love sweet potatoes! great source of vitamin A!

And i'm surprised nobody is breaking tradition, and doing a standing rib roast?
My distaste for sweet potatoes probably goes back to 3rd grade when, during lunch, the Principal stood over the guy sitting next to me in the cafeteria, yelling at him to eat his sweet potatoes. He was crying, trying to tell her he didn't like them. She made him take a bite and he promptly threw up all over his lunch tray. I've never been able to eat them after that.

Pumpkin pie - I absolutely hate nutmeg. So, no pumpkin pie, no eggnog (unless it's made without it).

I had the thought to use my Grainfather to souse vide a turkey. We are in a lockdown again, so there is no need for a whole turkey. After all, what is a mashing system... a giant souse vide! 😁 Maybe next year.
FAB932C0-2299-4EF5-8CFD-092A35990A11.jpeg

I’m recovering from COVID and my taster is all screwed up. All alcoholic beverages taste like cough syrup! At least I can taste, there were 4 days where I had zero taste or smell sensation. Everyone please enjoy an extra pint for me!
Dan

Done and done!

double_toast.jpg

Get better soonest!

Cheers! :mug:

I had the thought to use my Grainfather to souse vide a turkey. We are in a lockdown again, so there is no need for a whole turkey. After all, what is a mashing system... a giant souse vide! 😁 Maybe next year.
View attachment 707972
I keep toying with the idea of using my keggle and brewstand to deep-fry a turkey one of these years. Too chicken (har) to try it yet, maybe next year.

Early Times with a splash of Canada Dry ginger ale every holiday. It was my late father’s favorite holiday drink. No way I could drink the hard stuff on a daily basis. I was ready for bed at 8 Lol.

We did a Thanksgiving brunch this year. The jar on the right is Bloody Mary mix from this year's salsa canning. While the salsa recipe is tasty, it produces too much liquid, so I've learned to skim a pint of liquid from each batch which is also canned to enjoy with vodka with holiday brunch.

Attachments

• Salsa 2020.JPG
    Salsa 2020.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Back