Whoops... Frozen yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotcrab

Reaction score
Put a some yeast I washe into a old fridge I was given, went to check it this morning and it frozen? Have I killed it. Gutted if I have, had stepped it all the way up from a single bottle of beer :,(

She doesn't seem to understand, I really, really, like beer...

Put a some yeast I washe into a old fridge I was given, went to check it this morning and it frozen? Have I killed it.

Yes. It's dead.

Or it could be fine.

There is only one way to find out; toss it into a starter and see what happens. Chances are you've wounded it, but not killed it.

Frozen as in solid all the way to the bottom or frozen as in a little skim of ice on the top. If it's the former, you probably killed it. If the latter, try it in a starter. I think yeast is harder to kill than most of you think.

Bugger, it looked fairly solid, will try and start her back up and see what happened, I've got about a gallon of beer bottled from the last step so all is not lost I guess. Oh well, guess I'll have to make some more beer...

She's alive! Very very alive, just dropped some dme in the jar I was storing it in and gave it a shake, lucky I checked it just now, because she was close to blowing! It was 4am when I did, it so probably still a bit weary and screwed the cap on tight....

Back