Whole Gingerbread House in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlipking

Reaction score
Anybody ever dump an entire gingerbread house into the boil? I know it sounds like a gimmick or novelty. Any thoughts on challenges?

Anybody ever dump an entire gingerbread house into the boil? I know it sounds like a gimmick or novelty. Any thoughts on challenges?

You're going to have a lot of solids in there, best off to toss it in the mash if you are all-grain.

Nope but then again I'm not a fan of ginger anything. ;-)

Sounds like an interesting idea. The candies and frosting would provide extra sugars which I assume most would be fermentable. What style of beer are you thinking of doing? Maybe a spiced Christmas ale would be a good fit (although I don't like spiced beers). The other thing that makes me think/wonder is, will the gingerbread house with candy on it make a mess in the brew pot? Would you be scrubbing scorched candy off your pot for hours after your brew day?

Anyhow, if you proceed with this idea please keep us posted. Cheers!

I don't care if you put it in the mash or boil, just please post a picture/video when it gets done. Boil sounds like more fun, but more of a mess afterwards.

I tossed a chocolate chip cookie in my last dry irish stout boil because I changed my mind about eating it. It added no perceivable flavor and contributed no significant sugars to the final gravity.

Dump that sucker in for the last 15 minutes and let us know how it turns out. The solids will be no worse than a heavy late hop addition or high grain dust trub.

Sounds like grinding it up in the mash would be a better idea...

Maybe watch out for oils in the frosting. If nothing else, it will probably kill any head, especially if tossed in the boil.

I tossed a chocolate chip cookie in my last dry irish stout boil because I changed my mind about eating it. It added no perceivable flavor and contributed no significant sugars to the final gravity.

It might be that I am just trying to make it through my Friday at work, but I laughed out loud at the thought of you just throwing in a cookie that you didn't feel like eating.

I want a video of it going into the boil.....a la the terminator sinking into molten steel.

Back