Who should i order from?? Any suggestion welcome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
I was looking for a good, CHEAP, company i can order all my AG brewing ingrediants. Any and ALL suggestions welcome. Thanks!

For the cheapest, you usually need to shop around. At some point, it is not worth the time to spend 2 hours hunting for a $2 savings on a $150 item, etc. etc.

So, while I will do that for big items, I really enjoy reliable quality & good customer service.

The guys over at http://www.brueryprovisions.com/ are great! I've always gotten great service from them, and they carry plenty of great ingredients too!

I also enjoyed ordering from William's Brewing. When I ordered my camp cooker, and found that my new brew kettle did not sit well on the it, I exchanged it with no hassles for a different cooker. They were equally easy to deal with when I had seal issues with a kegerator faucet, and I exchanged that as well.

I've also had good luck from Northern Brewerand Keggle Brewing for keg equipment.

Many posters & friends also recommend More Beer and Austin Homebrew Supply.

Have fun & good luck!
--LexusChris

Depending on what quantity you are ordering and the total shipping costs, http://www.brewbrothers.biz/ are pretty great on pricing. The one negative for shipped orders is you have to email them your order for a quote on shipping. The grain prices are so much cheaper than most that if you factor in shipping you might still be ahead of the game.

For me since it is a 20 minute drive it's a real big bargain.

I have a LHBS that is cheaper than any of the on-line places for most things when you factor in shipping. The only problem is, they don't have the sort of selection that you can get on line.

-a.

BMW is awesome, and if you're in NC, you'll get your order unbelievably quickly like I do in AL. Last order I made, I ordered late Sunday night (11:00 pm), it was picked up by FedEx Monday afternoon and was delivered to my house Tuesday at 10:00am. Less than 36 hours from placing the order to delivery!! Spectacular! I've ordered from pretty much all the others, and they're all pretty good. But BMW has the best combination of price, speed, and high quality service.

Now that BMW has reached an agreement with distributors or whoever it was, we in GA can order from them. I'll be placing an order with the GA based BMW today or tomorrow.

Now that BMW has reached an agreement with distributors or whoever it was, we in GA can order from them. I'll be placing an order with the GA based BMW today or tomorrow.

Ahh, just remembered one of the pitfalls of buying locally: SALES TAX! Since the local BMW is over in Marietta, I'll be getting it shipped but can't escape the tax man.

I looked at all ^^^ suggestions and based on prices none of those places are that good. Standard prices yes, but none of them are deals. The rates online are pretty standard across the board though, if you want to save money you have to buy in larger quantities. Northern Brewer sells hops in 1 lb amounts for some limited types and that can save you some money. Also they have dry malt extract for 11 bucks a bag which isn't bad for me, my LHBS charges 15 bucks a bag.

So the bottom line is if you want to save money you can shop around and save a buck here or a couple bucks there but for ingredients if you have the ability to store properly, buy in the largest quantities you can brew through before stuff starts getting stale.

I looked at all ^^^ suggestions and based on prices none of those places are that good. Standard prices yes, but none of them are deals.

BMW will give you a 10% discount for being a HBT member and flat shipping.

Get your hops from hopsdirect.com. You'll have to buy by the pound, but it's crazy cheap. You won't find grain much cheaper than BMW, once you average it out across the different types.

I have not used BMW before but as I said earlier, I'm going to be placing an order. How do I get the 10% discount applied? I don't see a place to apply it in my BMW shopping cart.

I like AHS, because of the grain bill option (all my grains for a particular recipe, crushed and combined in one sealed package, no extra charge), makes everything easier come brew day. I also like the flat rate shipping.

I looked at all ^^^ suggestions and based on prices none of those places are that good. Standard prices yes, but none of them are deals. The rates online are pretty standard across the board though, if you want to save money you have to buy in larger quantities. Northern Brewer sells hops in 1 lb amounts for some limited types and that can save you some money.

Hopsdirect is actually cheaper than ANY other place for hops, as long as you own a freezer. I just got a pound of Cluster and a pound of Cascade for $6.75 & $8.75 each. Even with shipping (which admittedly is cheap, since I'm close), it works out to... around $0.76 an OUNCE.

It's impossible to beat that at any LHBS (or online HBS, for that matter).

I like AHS, because of the grain bill option (all my grains for a particular recipe, crushed and combined in one sealed package, no extra charge), makes everything easier come brew day. I also like the flat rate shipping.

I live near Austin, and while AHS is pretty solid (and within driving distance) I still order everything from BMW. They have a slightly better crush (IMO), flat shipping, and they also combine grain in one sealed bag (w/ better packaging IMO). I also don't have to pay sales tax.

BMW has also been MUCH faster at getting orders processed in my experience. I could probably order from AHS and BMW at the same time and get the order from BMW first despite AHS being 25 miles down the road.

Brewmasters warehouse is local for me. They seems pretty great. NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM KEGKITS.com if you ever want to see your merchandise.

I live near Austin, and while AHS is pretty solid (and within driving distance) I still order everything from BMW. They have a slightly better crush (IMO), flat shipping, and they also combine grain in one sealed bag (w/ better packaging IMO). I also don't have to pay sales tax.

BMW has also been MUCH faster at getting orders processed in my experience. I could probably order from AHS and BMW at the same time and get the order from BMW first despite AHS being 25 miles down the road.

That's good to know. I've tried midwest, rebel, and AHS. I've never had a problem with any of them....although midwest crush is lacking a bit... I guess I'll give BMW a try. Thanks for the heads up Charlos.

khiddy- "Hopsdirect is actually cheaper than ANY other place for hops"

mattmcl- "Get your hops from hopsdirect.com. You'll have to buy by the pound, but it's crazy cheap. You won't find grain much cheaper than BMW, once you average it out across the different types."

bernerbrau- "BMW will give you a 10% discount for being a HBT member and flat shipping."

Touché salesman, touché...bookmarking those two sites for future purchases...

Small clarification, the BBBYO coupon code only takes 10% off of RECIPES in your cart that are put together using their Brewbuilder. All of the grains purchased as a recipe come combined in a single bag, so the discount doesn't work for stocking up on different grains or purchasing equipment.

BMW is a fantastic vendor with fantastic prices and excellent service. Can't recommend them enough.

Back