Who knows any commercial braggots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaktheman

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make a braggot the only issue is that I don't have a baseline to know how it will turn out. So my question is if anyone out there knows of a good commercial braggot help a mate out and respond to this thread with as much information on the braggot you are recommending.

I'm trying to see if a local beer place can get a hold of some braggot for me that's why I'm looking for names, but thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Sam Adam's made a Braggot recently, don't know its quality though.. There is a place in Mannassas, VA that makes a braggot also, that I can attest to being pretty darned good.

Okay, so I drank that braggot I had in the fridge (this one http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/765/87739/)

It's a mead with beer in it, not a beer with mead in it. No carbonation, amber colour, and beery smell. Sweet taste with strong honey and malty flavours and just enough bitterness to not be noticeable. No hop aroma. 8% ABV gives it a "boozy" texture and finish.

Honestly, it most reminds me of a gruit with none of the herbal tastes and a "boozy" texture. Much like with gruit, a beer drinker will think it's cloying and way too sweet. A mead drinker will probably like it, so long as they also like beer.

Rogue makes a braggot. I've only had it once and it was very very good. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it right now.

I haven't tried a commercial braggot yet either. Great topic. Dogfish head makes a braggot from time to time, but I haven't tried any of them yet. They have a great restaurant not too far from me, so I''l have to go check that out.

I recently took second runnings from a 3G vienna/chocolate pale with OG of 1.020 and doubled the gravity with honey, and it turned out pretty good. I tried to caramelize the honey and didn't accomplish much more than driving off all of the "honey" aromatics, but it still got rave reviews. Go easy on the bitterness since they ferment so dry. Mine ended up at 1.007. from 1.040

Latest posts

Back