Who has used PB2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I pitched about 4 oz of PB2 into my mash tun with my oatmeal chocolate stout. Has anybody else done this and what kind of results did you achieve? Right now I'm debating if I want to buy more of it to throw into my secondary next week. I'd probably toss in another 4-6 oz along with the cocoa nibs I have.

Peanut butter powder. I have used it in secondary. Fades fast. My homebrew club serves the BEAVR nuts for last three years at fest and will again this year.

I tried a different recipe than the Chocolate Covered BEAVR Nuts since the peanut was so subtle in that one. It is a sweet stout I just kegged and I must say I'm not stoked about it. With the PB2 powder front and center (I used 11oz) it brings a very vegetable flavor more like boiled peanuts than peanut butter cups. I will have to see after some conditioning, but fresh it was not great.

I've been wondering about adding "outside" flavors and aromas myself, and how to get them into the beer, effectively. There must be some great wisdom and research on this board and other places.

As with all aromatic things, you want to extract the oils that contain or carry the flavor and aroma. Then once extracted, you don't want the boil or fermentation process to strip them out, or convert them to other, not so desirable components.

For example, adding cocoa powder to a primary or secondary will yield very little or no chocolate flavor. I guess same things happen with your PB2.

I read this article on a dry hopping method where the beer is being circulated (pumped) through the hops for 24-48 hours. Now that is a good method, that beats the "add pellets and let sit for a week" approach.

So, find out how to get those specific essential oils into your beer and you're (half way) there.

Back