Who else drinks an entire growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I was leafing through the beginning pages of the free copy of Beer magazine I picked up at GABF. The magazine is a trendy and very slick publication the website says is geared toward younger drinkers. From what I've seen so far there have been plenty of flashy graphics and short snippets and news items apparently directed at people with short attention spans.

Anyway, one of the very short snippets was talking about growlers and recommending thier readers purchase them if the reader is lucky enough to have access to brewer and who lives in a state that allows growler sales. The article went on to caution that not many people dring a half gallon at a time and that one should find someone to share it with or, at least, make sure to consume it within two days.

I guess my first thought was, am I the only one who drinks a growler in an evening - only on weekends of course? I mean, it's only two quarts over a 3-4 hour period, right?

I drink a growlers-worth almost every night. Four pints isn't much unless you are a wuss, lol. Now barleywine or something like that, maybe not so much, but normal ales and lagers are easy to drink 4 glasses of for me.

I just filled my growler to take camping. I have every expectation of finishing it off tonight and probably even have a couple bottles as well.

Sounds like they're talking to...well...I was gonna say about stupid college kids that are accoustomed to drinking 3.2% beer...but when we did that, a case didn't last very long....neither did the Bottle of jack we always had to go with it. I don't know what the hell they are thinking!

never had a growler in my house but i do consume at least 5-8 bottles on nights i drink.

It would definitely depend on the alcoholic strength of the beer. If it's an english bitter, 4 pints might be a daily occurrence. If it's Apfelwein, I'd save it for a weekend.

When I used to travel a lot for work I used to always have 3-4 pints at brewery to try their samplings, then get a growler of my favorite to go and drink it back in my hotel room while doing paper work or just messing on the internet. These people are definitely wuss's

3-4 pints is about average for me....on a week night.

it was funny...last night Chriso Pmned me about something and mentioned he was halfway to a good tear....I responded that I was having a lightweight night...I had 2 pints then switched to milk....

That was a slow night for me....

(This hobby MAY not be the best thing for our livers, yah think?) :D

I'd be pretty nervous if I was looking to drink some beer and had only one growler on hand. Of course, "experts" say anything more than 3 beers in a sitting is binge drinking. pffttt...

BTW, I flipped through a copy of that magazine at the local grocery store. Kinda like Maxim or FHM, but with more articles about beer. I'd take one for free, but I don't think I'd pay money for it. If I want to rot my brain, I'd rather spend the money on a six-pack.

Revvy said:
(This hobby MAY not be the best thing for our livers, yah think?) :D
You of all people should know that the liver is evil and should be punished, as well as cleaning up all the slow brain cells. ;) (a little buffalo theory perhaps?)

When I first started brewing, a Growler would put me under! I can easily drink a growler. I don't always drink that much, but it's not too much of a problem....unless I am on an empty stomach and it's 9% or something :drunk: Of course, time frame is important too. I can't chug down a growler :D

Once I crack one, it's getting drank that night. Might be over 4-5 hours, but to me it's like putting out a good cigar halfway through and lighting it up again the next day - not near as good. If I can't commit to the whole thing, I'll wait until I can.

Damn...I wish I had time to stop off at a brewpub tonight, all this talk about Growlers got me hankering for final absolution a triple from Dragonmead....

LabelFinal.jpg

But I'm going to a hockey game tonight...Damn those other hobbies...:D

3-4 pints is about average for me....on a week night.
it was funny...last night Chriso Pmned me about something and mentioned he was halfway to a good tear....I responded that I was having a lightweight night...I had 2 pints then switched to milk....
That was a slow night for me....

Hehe... Guilty as charged! Yeah, weeknights I usually have 3-4 homebrews during and after dinner... then after the 5th or 6th imperial pint, I wander off to cans of swill beer instead, they're easier to carry than a glass. Weekends... well, I never try to count.

Now.. if it's a BAD weeknight.... well then I usually keep the glasses in the cupboard, and just use my growler. I'll fill it, wander upstairs, and curl up in front of the TV. If it's a ROTTEN weeknight, I'll need a refill by about 9pm.

I have this past week put away 2 (1 a night) of the Dead Guy Ale growlers and they never saw the cap again. I didn't think you were able to re cap them.
JJ

I guess I'm a lightweight. A growler of anything stronger than a mild would be a heavy drinking night for me. I have to save my 22oz Barleywines and such for weekend drinking. I guess my problem is I don't really like being drunk. A little buzz is OK but I really try to avoid anything worse. However I don't have many days I don't have atleast one drink.

So while a growler of a good low alcohol ale would be enjoyed it would only be for a weekend evening. A stronger beer would be finished the second day.

Craig

If it's a REALLY bad weekday, do you need a refill by 9am? :drunk:

Nah, I'm still drooling on my keyboard and trying to read HBT when it's that early. Now 9am on a Sunday.... after those darned Huskers lost again... you betcha. (Here's me holding out on hopes that we can beat IA State and Baylor... cuz the rest of the season scares me.)

I usually go for a couple of homebrews or a bottle of wine during the week but a growler or 5-6 homebrews is just about right with popcorn and a DVD on the weekends.

I went back to read the current medical advice. It's something like a pint a day of 5% is considered low risk. Over that and it rises. Of course it's a generality though, and they mention that allowing a day or two off a week is very beneficial. I gotta brew me some of that 3.5% stuff.

Wow, this is kinda freaky:

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa64/aa64.htm

It seems though that if you are eating well, exercise, aren't overweight, don't drink heavily and (I am guessing) stay sufficiently hydrated you should be ok. Dang. OK, so we need a HBT "what I am doing to stay healthy" forum. :D

A... a.... um... day ... a day off? :confused:

Hehehe... I remember when I had a couple RISes and a Hennepin and a La Divine in the same evening. Yeesh, I was on Mars.

I can finish one so long as it's not a really high-ABV beer. I'm a skinny kid, I can only handle so much :cross:

Anything more than about 4.5% needs a two-day treatment...

A growler is cake. Only four pints. I can do any sort of alcohol content for 4 pints. I might feel it by pint 3 if it is 9% or higher, but it isn't much of an issue. I am a giant monster though.

I'm a lightweight. I usually drink one beer a night and probably up to 3 on Friday/Saturday night. Tonight I'm on beer #1.5 and that'll be it for me. Well, maybe I'll pull half a glass of my pale ale just to make sure it's alright. Should probably check on the IPA too. Kegging may change my answer:drunk:

I'll take my growler in the morning after coffee.

Latest posts

Back