White Stout Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a white stout for the first time next weekend and have my recipe formulated but have not settled on a water profile yet. I have seen profiles for oatmeal stouts, sweet stouts, and even balanced profiles and light colored malt forward beers but do not know which profile I should select for a white stout. Any help would be great.

I had never heard of one either until last week I tried a white stout. It was the color of a pilsner but tasted like a stout. The biggest thing that really stuck out was the coffee flavor. It almost tasted like a cold cup of coffee. It actually kinda played with my head a little when you looked at the glass and seen it after taking a sip. Maybe it played with my head so much that's why I had to order another.
I would love to hear OP's recipe as I've been thinking of trying to work on one myself.
Sorry for the ramble OP as I'm no help on the original question

I tried one in Asheville, NC and the flavor blew me away. If I had been blindfolded I would have sworn that the beer I was tasting was as black as my soul, but it was light copper colored! I have no idea how it's done at all, and it's not technically a real style per BJCP, but it's an interesting new trend.

If you find out how to do it well, I'd love to know! Sorry to uselessly blow up your thread though...

I had a tiramisu beer a while back which was a golden light caramel colour and 9% abv. Vanilla, coffee, chocolate and cream. It was very good, but left me wondering if they'd used quite a lot of different extracts? I've always wanted to make a white stout, but wouldn't have the first idea about where to begin. All my go to malts would shoot the colour immediately.

I'm planning on doing one myself, soon, and was originally inspired by Beechum's recipe in his (and Denny's) book Experimental Brewing.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/7455/white-stout/

His technique to get the chocolate and coffee flavors isn't via grains, but by adding cold brewed coffee and cacao extract after fermentation. Unfortunately, there wasn't any mention on water profile, but with his technique I think you'd be looking for something more along the lines of amber, if not pale, since you're looking to dial in water with relation to the mash profile (which is fairly pale in this case).

I had a tiramisu beer a while back which was a golden light caramel colour and 9% abv. Vanilla, coffee, chocolate and cream. It was very good, but left me wondering if they'd used quite a lot of different extracts? I've always wanted to make a white stout, but wouldn't have the first idea about where to begin. All my go to malts would shoot the colour immediately.

That sounds delicious. What brewery/brewer produced it?

Back