White mold on Stilton?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheyToGo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and still a rookie home cheesemaker. 8 weeks ago I made my first Stilton and as of now it is still aging in my cheese fridge. It has been doing really well but about a week ago I noticed some white-ish mold growing on it. Is that normal? This is my first time using P. roquefortii so I'm not sure if this is a good mold or a bad mold. I know that P. roquefortii can produce a blue-grey mold so I wonder if that's what I'm seeing. There has never been P. candidum in my cheese fridge so I know it's not that type of contamination.

IMG_0022.jpg

Mine don't get that furry. Make a strong salt solution and brush that thing down with it. Use a piece of cheesecloth or similar. You'll probably need to do that periodically until you bandage or otherwise contain your cheese. By 6 weeks my blue cheese is in vacuum bags.

Yeah the fuzziness was concerning me too. Thanks for the advise I will give it a good wash and hopefully that keeps the bad stuff away.

The blue needs oxygen to develop its unique flavor so why do you choose to vac-pack it? I understand the threat of contamination is always present (obviously mine being a prime example!) but won't you be losing some of that bluey flavor that you could have gotten if you didn't vac-pack it?

Yeah the fuzziness was concerning me too. Thanks for the advise I will give it a good wash and hopefully that keeps the bad stuff away.

The blue needs oxygen to develop its unique flavor so why do you choose to vac-pack it? I understand the threat of contamination is always present (obviously mine being a prime example!) but won't you be losing some of that bluey flavor that you could have gotten if you didn't vac-pack it?

Mine were very strong flavored :) I take back what I said before, I didn't vac bag them. I wrapped them in cheese paper.

Here's some pics. I've made a bunch of these.

_mg_0670-65782.jpg

Here's some more info:

Stilton Blue Cheese: Success, it smells like foot rot!

and here (another make I think, can't remember)

Blue Cheese

I wrapped them in this cheesepaper. These are camembert that I made, but I remember wrapping the blue in them too. I had a ton of it sitting in my fridge, and I was tired of it, so I made a bunch of jars of blue cheese dressing from it.

_mg_0792-65874.jpg

Latest posts

Back