White Labs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejcrist

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using WLP002 and WLP028 for my next two batches of cider. Anyone have any experiences using these yeasts? If so, how'd they do? I have two batches fermenting now with Nottingham and S-04 which seem to be doing well but I wanted to experiment with some of the liquid yeasts and these two have good reports from what I've heard. I'd appreciate any opinions.

I guess there's not many people using these two yeasts. In case anyone is interested, I made 1.5L starters on a stir plate yesterday for these two and pitched at room temperature (~ 75F), then waited for signs of fermentation before moving to a chest freezer w/controller set to an average of 65F. The first signs of fermentation occurred after about 2 hours so the starter worked it's magic well and the lag time was the shortest of any yeast I've ever used. Then I checked the plastic bucket fermenters when I got up about 9 hours later and the WLP028 had bubbled over and the 002 was pushing on the loose fitted lid. While I can't comment on the end product taste yet I can say these two ale yeasts are definitely the most robust I've ever worked with. So far I'm really impressed. I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.

I wrote up a post on this last year which you can find here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=503461

I did tests last year with 4 different white labs yeast and unpasteurized fresh cider juice, fermenting to complete dryness. I found that the ale yeasts all tasted about the same without a lot of apple character, but the White Labs WL775 Cider Yeast I felt actually retained something of the original juice.

I have WL775 in the fridge waiting its turn.
I have a batch I just racked to secondary that I used Wyeast 4766, so far it is looking pretty good.
I did use wlp002 in a porter that turned out real good but not in a cider.

Thanks for the info gents - good to know. So far the two batches I launched Friday are churning along fine. Of course I'm not at the tasting point yet but I will say these two yeasts took over in the shortest time, and the most aggressive than any other yeast I've ever pitched for cider, wine, or mead. I don't know if that's a good thing or not but there's little to no chance for any wild yeast in there, not that that was a concern anyway since I'm using store-bought pasteurized juice. But if you were using fresh-pressed and wanted a short lag time these two would definitely fit the bill.

Latest posts

Back