White Labs Yeast or US-05 or Notthingham for Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidens

Reaction score
Hi,

Which yeast do you recommend for an Imperial Stout?

I have access to the White Labs' catalog and Dry Yeast as well.

Maybe Nottingham can be a good choice? I want to try with WLP0070, but I can't find it in a small package.

I'm starting my imperial stout this weekend, and decided on White Labs WPL007, their Dry English Ale.

From White Labs site:

Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.

My recipe has a OG of 1.103, and expected final of 1.021

I have only brewed 2 stouts so far. Neither were Imperial. I used Nottingham for the first and Neobrittania for the second. Neobrittania is a Northern Brewer exclusive.

If you use liquid yeast I recommend making a properly sized starter.

I don't know what you mean by " I can't find it in a small package" They only sell large quantities to commercial brewers or vials to individuals. They are going to change from the vials to Mylar/foil pouches. I don't know how far along they are on this change. A single package/vial will not contain the required cell counts for an Imperial Stout. Thus the recommendation of making a starter.

I have an imperial stout aging in secondary (going to be my New Year Brew).
I used 2 packets of Nottingham. Fermentation was crazy for three days.

From what I understand, the increased alcohol content can do a number on the yeast cells, and it is best to pitch double what you would for a session or midrange beer.

Ok, Wlp007 can be a good choice.

The problem of wlp070 is that there no vials here. The minimum package that I can buy here is over 1 gallon, more or less.

My Imperial stout started just fine with the WLP007, but like so many others who have tried an imperial stout...It blew the airlock. Installed a blow off tube, and things have finally settled down a bit. No matter what yeast you end up using I recommend a blow off tube

imo, US-05 is just too clean/neutral for any stout.
I'd at least opt for S04 if it had to be dry yeast...

Cheers!

Imperial Stouts have a very strong flavor profile. How much flavor could you really perceive from a non-neutral yeast?

Apparently, more than you suspect.

Can you really not tell the difference between a beer brewed using a British ale yeast versus one using a California ale yeast? :drunk:

I always keep a stout on tap, and prefer British ale yeast - because it's much more interesting than California ale yeast...

Cheers!

If you do use S-04, mash really low (147-149). It's not the best attenuator and with such a high gravity beer full of complex sugars it'll need the extra umphh to get down to a reasonable gravity. IMO.

Edit: even a step to 158 after the low mash for 20 more minutes would help things out

Apparently, more than you suspect.

Can you really not tell the difference between a beer brewed using a British ale yeast versus one using a California ale yeast? :drunk:

I always keep a stout on tap, and prefer British ale yeast - because it's much more interesting than California ale yeast...

Cheers!

Really? My current Imperial Stout is 9% ABV, strong coffee, chocolate, and PB flavors. No yeast flavor would be able to penetrate that!!! :D

I always use S04 in my stouts, but in this time I would try to use Wlp007 or Nottingham by the way

My Black Friday 2013 (brewed On Black Friday while retail slaving wife is working) was all Notty. I felt it was missing the roast. On a Doctor Homebrew episode they judged a RIS and commented that a Cal Ale yeast version was roastier than an English strain one. So last fall I split the batch 3 ways with Notty, US05, and WLP007. The US05 was definitely drier sensing (FG within 1 point if the others) and roastier. The WLP007 was fruitier, and Notty was in the middle. I re blended them at kegging, but bottled individual samples of each which reinforced the initial impressions. I'll be keeping that as my standard practice, but mixing it up a bit with something new instead of WLP007 for variation.

+ 1 for WL 007. I have a imperial stout aging right now with this yeast and its excellent. this is a very versatile yeast its my go to anymore, ferment cool and its very clean and like English on the warmer side

Latest posts

Back