White Labs vial froze solid = dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a delivery from a mail-order Homebrew shop I use. However, the package was delivered during the day, and I didn't get home until suppertime. The temperature here yesterday was -13° F. When I opened the box, the vial of White Labs yeast (WL007 Dry English Ale) was frozen solid. I put it in my refrigerator to slowly thaw it back out.

My question is: Will having been frozen dramatically adversely affect the yeast's viability? Of course I'll still do a starter anyway, but how well do yeast typically survive being frozen in the vial like this?

Chris White of White Labs had said freezing of the yeast in shipping may reduce viability by 10% due to some cells being killed.

Freezing damages/burst the yeast cell walls, the reason dry yeast can be out in the freezer is because of exactly that, it's dry. Think about if you put a glass container filled with water I'm the freezer, the ice will expand and break the container. I imagine it's the same thing with the yeast cells. I would consider making a simple starter, then if it shows activity I would wash it and that way you'll have a slurry of healthier yeast.

And the 10% rule applies to each cycle of freezing and thawing. So you have to keep that in mind.

Back