White Labs PurePitch Package date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carterscasita

Reaction score
A few of my recent PurePitch yeast packages from White Labs haven't had the "package date" printed on them like they usually do. It only shows the "best by date" and "Lot #". Anyone know how White Labs calculates the "best by date" so I can figure out the viability for my starter measurements?

Attachments

• IMG_9354[5908].JPG
    IMG_9354[5908].JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 12
From White Labs website:

https://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life
By accessing the QC data for each package online at Yeastman.com, you can view the “QC Release Date” which is the date your yeast cleared QC as well as the “Best Before” date which is the date we suggest you use the yeast for optimal fermentations. The “Best Before” date comes from hundreds of internal trials, ultimately showing that after five months in PurePitch® packaging the average viability of first generation yeast remains at more than 79%. Essentially, all yeast passes QC at 95% or higher viability, and there is only a 3.2% decrease in viability month-over-month.

So, I would think manufacture date is 5 months before the Best By date?

Back