White Labs New Packaging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
So I bought a pack of the new 001 Cal Ale in the new FlexCell Packaging. For those of you who have handled one pack. It is basically two packs. The first layer is the plastic pouch with the artwork and information on it. Then there is a second internal thicker plastic pouch which carries the yeast. Today before making a starter I pulled out the new pack and it had liquid in the second package. So it was in the thicker pack AND the additional space where I have never seen liquid before. Seemed weirdd, went to the HBS and they said it was cool. Use it, no big deal. I grabbed another pack in the meantime.

Hope that made some sense. Let me know what you all think. I decided to let it hang out in the fridge till I get some confirmations/opinions.

Cheers~ !

So you're saying there liquid in both pouches? The first being the pouch that has the logo on it and the second being the "thicker" clear pouch? Mine was all in the "thicker" clear pouch.

My guess is that the lab is so sterile that you have little to worry about of anything sealed at the lab. Whether it is in an inner pouch or an outer pouch.

My guess is that the lab is so sterile that you have little to worry about of anything sealed at the lab. Whether it is in an inner pouch or an outer pouch.

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm sure the lab is sterile, but is the packaging facility? One of the features of the new design is that the yeast is never exposed to the atmosphere-- it's grown in its own packaging (the inner). No need for White Labs to keep the outer packaging in sterile condition.

Did the inner package burst or leak somehow?

Hey all. Yes. It was in the outer pouch. No excessive handling on my part. Picked it up from the home brew shop. With an ice pack for the travel home. (Rush hour) got home. Threw it in the fridge. Next day, starter being made per usual. Then noticed it as my 2000ml flask was cooling prior to pitch. There is no doubt at all that both the thick usual pack with yeast and the thinner outside pack both had liquid. But when squeezing the pack gently there is no evidence of a leak.

I was searching around to see how other brewers were making out with the new White Labs packing and came across this thread. While I haven't experienced the same issue as the OP, I haven't been thrilled with the opening process of the new packaging.

I am on my 5th brew using the new WL Pure Pitch packaging. I recently went back and listened to the Beersmith podcast (#86) and I definitely hear what Dr. White is trying to say about limiting how much they handle the yeast and growing the culture in it's final home, it sounds like a great idea.

Like a lot of other brewers, I too worry about the extra layer of packaging and what might lie between the layers. The first package I tried to open was a colossal failure, I cut the package where it shows the dotted line and yeast started billowing out of the package, a la the old vial tubes which would do the same thing after having shook it to get the yeast into suspension. Anyway, I threw away that package and decided to cut the next one right at the top of the package but I was trying to cut right on the seam and my scissors weren't up to the task, fortunately I didn't actually cut into the inner package so I decided to regroup before wasting another $7.00 culture.

I have decided the best manner for me to open these packages is as follows: I remove the outer package by carefully piercing it and then tearing it away which exposes the inner package. Once the inner package is exposed, I find it much easier to sanitize and cut one layer of packaging instead of two. I basically use my index and middle finger to create a clamp and cut above that. It still takes a hefty pair of scissors but it can be done. I still make every effort to cut along the very top of the pouch to give the expanding yeast as much room as possible, even then I find some of it spewing. I've made the choice to open the package over the top of my sanitized funnel going into the flask and then use the starter wort to wash any 'spewage' from the funnel into the flask. It certainly doesn't feel too great but 5 batches in and I'm still drinking some nice beers so I guess I've avoided issues thus far.

While this is rather annoying it isn't enough for me to write-off White Labs products. I trust they'll continue working on this project to distribute the best product they possibly can.

Back