White Bread WTF??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so we got this new BBQ place in the next town over. I stopped in to check it out and the wife bought a Pulled Pork Sammy. AWESOME. Makes me want to give up smoking my own.

Anyway.

It's also a nice little taproom, so I stopped in after taking my daughter to dance to try a Perrin Black (Which they just replaced with something else. sigh.) And I'm talking with the cute young bartender chicks and the pitmaster and I notice that each tray of BBQ comes with a couple of slices of WHITE BREAD.

What is the deal? The pitmaster says the owners are from Texas, and that's just what they do down there. I don't understand the appeal. I'd much rather skip the white bread and have some cornbread with butter and maybe honey or something sweet to finish the meal, or better yet, garlic toast!

I mean, I don't think they serve pulled pork or brisket sandwiches on bread slices. They have buns for those.

Yep its def a Texas thing. i was confused by it the first time i got white bread with my bbq. I agree, would much rather have corn bread than some plain slices of white.

I've seen where you sit at a communal table, your serving is just a pile of sliced brisket in a little basket, and the waitresses stand loaves of Wonder bread in the middle of the table. The idea is you pick up the brisket with the bread.

I've seen it in Texas and any BBQ joint here in NC where the people are hailing from Texas. I don't mind it. I quite like white bread.

I prefer my cornbread with beans. And my BBQ with a thick slice of buttery white bread toasted just such that it has a nice crispy skin and chewy middle.

And yes, like picking through lamb curry using naan, we use torn off bits of the toast to grab the brisket. I prefer fresh corn tortillas with pulled pork though.

Texas thing. I believe you're supposed to use it to soak up all the juices/sauce. Maybe even put the BBQ on it and eat it open faced? But what do I know, I'm a Yank from 'Sconsin. Just been to Texas a couple of times, and that's indeed how they serve it.

They do the white bread thing in KC too so not just TX, though maybe still considered the same region. Pretty sure even at Oklahoma Joe's (now just Joe's - a BBQ place inside a gas station) which has some of the best BBQ in the country they do this.

They do the white bread thing in KC too so not just TX, though maybe still considered the same region. Pretty sure even at Oklahoma Joe's (now just Joe's - a BBQ place inside a gas station) which has some of the best BBQ in the country they do this.

Had to look this up. I live in Oklahoma and have never heard of them.

Only BBQ/Gas station we have (that I know of) is Rudy's. Mediocre at best, and I don't understand why they cut the bark off the brisket.

It ain't a bbq meal without some wonder bread to mop up them juices! You're welcome, Homercidal. ;)

I saw the same thing at Dreamland BBQ in Birmingham when I was there a few years ago. I was told it was a tradition, the bread is used to scoop up sauce and bits of meat that drop off.

The ribs were awesome, BTW.

Cut the bark off the brisket? that's like removing the head off beer!

Do they serve the bark alone, for a premium? I'd eat a brisket bark plate. I often do.

I dunno for certain. I've only been twice. Looked to me like they throw it away. I suppose they may use some of it for their beans tho.

If I go back, I'll have to ask WTF THAT is about. Doubtful tho, there are too many other places with better Q.

I dunno for certain. I've only been twice. Looked to me like they throw it away. I suppose they may use some of it for their beans tho.

If I go back, I'll have to ask WTF THAT is about. Doubtful tho, there are too many other places with better Q.

yeah, the aforementioned speed queen cuts it off and you can order it seperate. they call it "outside meat".

Are you sure they were cutting off all the bark and not just the bark that happened to be on the fat that they were trimming away?

Are you sure they were cutting off all the bark and not just the bark that happened to be on the fat that they were trimming away?

The first time, this is what I thought.

They offer their brisket lean or moist. Lean is with the fat trimmed away.

I've only ever ordered the moist. And they cut away all the bark.

Had to look this up. I live in Oklahoma and have never heard of them.

Only BBQ/Gas station we have (that I know of) is Rudy's. Mediocre at best, and I don't understand why they cut the bark off the brisket.

This place is in Kansas City not far from KU Hospital in a not so great area. When we first moved there I was driving around scouting graffiti murals and needed gas so stopped there. When I saw the line out the door and around the building I thought they were giving gas away for free! In actuality it was the BBQ line.

Oklahoma Joe's, again now just Joe's since the owners parted ways, is usually ranked in the top 5 in most "Best BBQ places in the country".

This place is in Kansas City not far from KU Hospital in a not so great area. When we first moved there I was driving around scouting graffiti murals and needed gas so stopped there. When I saw the line out the door and around the building I thought they were giving gas away for free! In actuality it was the BBQ line.

Oklahoma Joe's, again now just Joe's since the owners parted ways, is usually ranked in the top 5 in most "Best BBQ places in the country".

Yeah. I looked. They've apparently just opened two locations in Tulsa. Originated in Stillwater.

This place near me also basically just does BBQ and "Sides", which is Beans, Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, and Maque Choux. But the potato salad is Bleu Cheese potato Salad. I'm not positive, but I'm guessing that's not the traditional Texas Potato Salad?

In any case, the place smells fantastic and the food look fantastic as well. The Pulled Pork sandwich my wife got was REALLY good. I got a small slice off the side and went back to finish up her portion for her, and it was all gone. They had a sweet/spicy sauce on the side for dipping and it was fantastic as well, although the pork was tasty without too.

I'm planning a dinner date for as soon as possible to go see The Martian and get BBQ.

Yeah. I looked. They've apparently just opened two locations in Tulsa. Originated in Stillwater.

They had a location in Olathe where I lived at the time but to me it didn't taste as good as the gas station. When I wanted OK Joe's I drove up to the gas station. I'm wondering if the other "outlets" will be as good as well.

I bbq restaurateur once told me not to trust any bbq meat that *comes* slathered in bbq sauce. Good bbq doesn't need any sauce.

That is a bbq rule I live by.

That said, this guys meat was completely dry and inedible without a bottle of sauce... But still a good bbq goal every time I fire up the smoker.

I never knew anyone could eat BBQ without white bread and onions. That just ain't right!

Sauce should be on the side for dipping if desired. The best brisket that i've had in a very long time was at Masstoberfest two weeks ago. @paulthenurse has some mad skills for a Yankee.

Latest posts

Back