Whistler Brewing Chestnut Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
Just tried one of these last night at a local pub before the hockey game and was it ever good. The description was deep caramel with fire roasted chestnuts. Has anyone ever heard of adding chestnuts to a beer? Thought it was just a tasting note description but when I went to their site, it really looks like they add the actual chestnuts in and don't just get the flavor from select malts.

http://whistlerbeer.com/beers/valley-trail-chestnut-ale/

My Leftover ESB is in the primary. I used 1 lb chestnuts because I had leftover chestnuts from Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Chestnuts are moderately common in gluten free brewing, and not unheard of in barley beers.

My Leftover ESB is in the primary. I used 1 lb chestnuts because I had leftover chestnuts from Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Chestnuts are moderately common in gluten free brewing, and not unheard of in barley beers.

Very cool. Don't know anything about this or gluten free beer, what is the process? Do you roast them then add to the mash? Do they take the place of malt or are they a simple add for flavour? Maybe just added at boil?

Back