Whiskey stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garagebrewski

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made a whiskey stout kit that I fermented for 10 days and then got a little crazy and added 8oz of oak chip that were soaked in 3/4 liter of Canadian whiskey for 7 days to the fermenter as we'll. In all it's been fermenting for about 2 months now.

Too much whiskey? I can tell that as time goes on it's blending more and more and smells quite good.

When much longer should I let it sit?

Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i hope you enjoy oak... lots and lots of oak flavor. And did you dump all that whiskey in?
But I hope it turns out a good beer, what you need to understand is with oak chips the flavor transferred in a few days is usually enough for most of us. A good amount of chips is really 3oz or less, 3 oz of chips being quite a bit because of the surface area compared to cubes or spirals of the same weight. You can get away with adding more oz of cubes because of that smaller surface area but 8oz is still considered a lot for a 5 gal batch. Do a quick google search on oak aging beer and it'll pop up with everything you'll ever want to know and then some.

The best advice i can give you is try a bit, if it has to much oaky or whiskey flavor, rack it off the chips and let it sit and mellow. When playing with chips its a balancing act id try every day or two and go with something like 2oz. You can always add more or let it sit longer, but it takes longer to mellow out and may never get there.

Good luck with your brew!

Yeah,I only use like 3ozs of white oak chips with a few jiggers of bourbon in mine. And then in secondary after FG is reached & it's settle out clear or slightly misty. Then for maybe 1 week. I soak the oak chips in the bourbon in an airtight container in the fridge the whole time the beer's in primary. Then pour it all through a sanitized hop sock or two into secondary,tie it off & drop it in. Then rack the beer onto them. The hop sacks keep the chips from getting into the bottles. Nobody wants splinters in there tonsils at warp 2!:drunk:

Taste it now, you'll probably want to rack it off the oak chips now, then bulk age it a month or 3 more to let the oak mellow and the flavors blend.

I've only used oak once, I started tasting at the 1 week mark and racked it off once the oak was just a tad too strong ( because it will mellow a bit). I think mine was 3 weeks.

the oak and whiskey has done all its going to at this point, chips extract fully in about a week or 2. however, you used waaaaaaaay too much of both the whiskey & oak. even if you really love whiskey & oak, you're definitely going to need to brew at least another batch to blend it with.

Tried it the other day and it tastes pretty good. No overwhelming taste of whiskey or oak

Just curious what kinds of chips and whiskey did you use?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

7 months ago I brewed a batch of imperial stout with 3 oz of Jack Daniels chips soaked in 12 oz of Jack Daniels added to secondary for 2 months. While it was a bit strong at 2 months of age the oak and whiskey flavor has mellowed and it's quite good now. Time is on your side.

4oz of American, 4oz of French and 3/4 liter of Canadian club

7 months ago I brewed a batch of imperial stout with 3 oz of Jack Daniels chips soaked in 12 oz of Jack Daniels added to secondary for 2 months. While it was a bit strong at 2 months of age the oak and whiskey flavor has mellowed and it's quite good now. Time is on your side.

Ya I think just letting it sit long enough makes a huge difference.

Yeah,I've found that whiskey stouts definitely need aging to get them where you like them. White oak chips definitely give a lot of wood character.

Back