Whirlpooling in kettle with electric element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paco

Reaction score
Anyone had success in this situation?

Here's what my kettle look like.

So far I only used a stainless steel scrubby at the end of the pickup tube but I stumble on hop pellets that are shredded a bit more fine and it clog the pickup tube to the point of only dripping when cooling. I can't adjust to just this particular batch of hop. They pretty good anyway. I need a more versatile solution as I want the freedom to brew with whatever I have.

I need to find a solution to separate the trub and hops from the wort. I've considered the hop bag but with the presence of the element(s), it's risky to burn them. I believe that if I try to get the hop bag(s) out of the way of the elements, I will restraint the hop/wort contact which is not good. Also, the hop bag does't take care of everything; the hot break. A bit in the fermenter is Ok but too much is to avoid if possible.

At this point, I'm open to any suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paco,

I use a hop sack with my electric elements, at one time it was a big wavey 4500W ULD element which came close to the sack. Never had an issue, I just clipped it to the keggle wall as far away from the element as possible and just deep enough to suspend the hop particles.

With that said, I whirl pool as well but I use a pump to drive it. Trying to stir it with the element in there would be difficult.

Updates.

I decided to conduct a simple test tonight to see (keyword here) if I could whirlpool in my kettle and how well the particles pilled up in the center.

I filled the kettle half way and I throw a handful of oatmeal flakes. Then I start whirpooling with the plastic spoon for a couple of minutes then let sit for 10-15 minutes. I couldn't take pictures because the mixture was blurry but with a light, I could see the flakes have piled in the center.

The true test is still be with hot/cold break and hop trub though... sometime, it's far from just a handful.;)

On the next brew, I will whirlpool even more intensely and will let it sit and decant for 10-20 minutes before gradually pumping.

Looking at that and how your pickup is oriented. I think you will be very happy with the results on brew day.

Back