Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlleyBrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone, general question about using whirlfloc with an all grain bill. I had a brew day and my kits OG target was recommended to be 1.045. After my boil and whirlfloc addition plus cooling to 70 degrees, I took a sample and it was 1.030. My question is, is it possible that some of my sugars are trapped in the whirlfloc and will the yeast be able to get to it? I'm wondering if my low OG reading is false because of the whirlfloc

It's a fairly new system, 4 runs on it so far. No BIAB. I did read an article on whirlfloc and how it captures proteins (sugars) and drops them to the bottom.

I have zero experience in non BIAB, so I don't have much to add as far as lower than expected OG issues on more traditional methods.
I've never had issues with whirlfloc and I use it for every single brew. Something else would be the culprit for the low OG.

Target OG is 1.045, but yours measured at 1.030. There are many possible causes for this, but Whirlfloc isn't one of them. Could be:
Mash temp way off.
Incomplete conversion in the mash.
Your hydrometer is off.
Boiloff less than expected.
Poor crush, resulting in less extraction.

Whirlfloc helps precipitate proteins and other solids in suspension. It doesn't affect sugars.

I think the culprit is the kit . They never seem to be crushed right. Add to the fact he's only had 4 runs on this system . How'd the other 3 go? What's the set up? What was the process?

Sugars dissolve in water. So anything that is wet will have about the same sugar to water ratio in it. So no, the whirlfloc didn't cause you to have less of a OG.

That'd be one or several of the many things others have mentioned.

Back