Whirflock and Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXANM

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had horrible success with yeast harvesting when I use whirflock tablets. I usually brew a "haze" beer and harvest from there, and then the next batches with harvested yeast I use the tablets. Has anybody else used Whirflock tablets & had good success with harvesting?

I always use whirlfloc, so that my beers are crystal clear, and I harvest yeast out of the primary. Whirlfloc helps coagulate proteins. I can't see how it could affect the yeast harvesting. I haven't had any problems at all.

Maybe I a trying to get to "pure" of a product. It seems that the seperation between yeast and Crap is not as defined. Do you have problems with not disturbing the bottom layer during transfer?

I've had problems disturbing that bottom layer when trying to pour out of a carboy. My solution has been to siphon the liquid with suspended yeast into the secondary container where you let more trub settle out.

Latest posts

Back