while steeping my specialty grains the pot burned a hole in the bag.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyjoe

Reaction score
I was steeping my grains in a couple of gallons of water like the recipe called for. My bag made contact with the bottom of the pan to long and caused a hole and all the grains to came out. I continued steeping at the temp. for 30 min. After that, the only thing I could think to do was to use a strainer and another bag to filter the 2 gallons of mixture into. It looked like it filtered fine and continued on with the brewing process. every thing looks fine .

My question is should I have just stopped and started over after getting more grains (2lbs 0f 3 diff. kind are not that $)? A shop is only about 12 miles from my house. Or will the beer most likely turn out ok with what I ?

Should be fine.

Do you have handles on your brew kettle? We tie our grain bag to the handle to keep it from touching bottom.

So long as you were at the right temperature and timing, you should be fine.

The one question I do have for you is whether you were steeping with the pot still being heated, which I wouldn't advocate. When steeping, you should get the water to a couple degrees higher than the steep temp, shut the heat off, and then toss the grain bag in. Given that you'll be steeping at ~150 degrees, that shouldn't destroy the grain bag.

If you were still heating the water while steeping, you may have had uneven temps inside the pot, causing potential irregularities with the steep.

Back