While come hops, what a waste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
So I just kegged my home grown cascade pale. I dry hopped with close to three ounces of cones. It's been a long time since I dry hopped with cones and when I was cleanin out my carboy I was squeezing the cones and opening them up and they were basically unused. Still golden yellow good as inside. Does anybody grind up these or how do you make good use of them? Except for bittering this was all whole cascades and I feel like it was all kind of a waste. I don't have any hop flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep, few beers. That title again is whole cone hops.

Were they fresh? If I remember correctly you need 4-5x the wet hops to get the effect of dry hops.

Fresh but dried. So no wet factor. Real question, anybody use whole cones with good results and do you process them in some way.

You're not going to get the hop essential oils to dissolve when dry hopping. That requires the heat of the boil to isomerize the hop oils and make them soluble. Dry hopping will only add aroma.

Govner1, that's how it works but I got nothing, no aroma either. It had 5 ounces in the boil and I got nothing from that also. I was kind of waiting to start that convo though until after the keg is well carbed to give it another taste. I
Am just tired of dumping hops in all day and getting little in results. I will make another b#tch and moan thread about it but until then just any other process ideas? Maybe try a hop tea? I don't know.

Take some and steep them in a french press with 180 degree water. Then take that tea and put it in the beer to see if you can get more hop flavor into the beer.

Put them in a weighted down "hop sock" on a string (muslin or fine mesh hop bag) and agitate a few times a day, careful to avoid oxidizing the beer. Purge the headspace with CO2 if you have a CO2 tank. You need to get the beer to the lupulin glands. I use a suspended muslin bag in a keg, and swirl.

I've tried hop teas with mixed results, the flavor/aroma is just not the same as (cold or room temperature) dry hopping. I've let them steep at 160-170.

I agree about the flavor if pressed and added late, it's not the same. I may hop back/Randall and keg hop to make this a little better but the flavor is not the same. I should have really loosened these things up if not shredded then and agitated every now and then. I do purge the carboy with CO2.

That's the main reason I switched to pellet hops. I wasn't getting the flavor/aroma from late additions or from dry hopping with whole cones. I experimented and made the same beer with the same weight in pellets that I had previously made with whole cone and the difference was night and day in flavor and aroma. I am a firm believer of the less processed the better with any food product or ingredient but when it comes to hops its not the case.

If whole cone is all you have then maybe pulse them in a food processor, I've heard of people doing that.

I dry hop with cones and get great results. I hate pellets and won't use them....the residue gets everywhere!

Latest posts

Back