Which yeast & why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin

Reaction score
well i like to start brew beer beside wine

just having bit confusion over choosing best yeast

safale S-04 or S-05 or something else!

what abv they usually endup with and why you choose that yeast taste/fast/....

i appreciate your help
:drunk:

Have you got a particular style in mind?

US-05 attenuates better, but does not flocculate as well, and is typically very neutral in flavor (does not add a lot to the flavor profile).

S-04 attenuates a bit less, flocculates very well, and adds a little bit of "English" ester to the flavor profile (a bit of apple/pear fruity aldehydes)

Amongst dry yeasts, and generally speaking, US-05 would be a top choice for American Pale Ales, American IPA's, and such; while S-04 would be a good choice for English style Ales, and for your darker beers (porters, stouts).

Yeast plays a huge role in flavor contribution.

Perhaps if you told us what you want to brew, or at least the styles you like, you could get a more focused answer.

Most people pick a yeast that is appropriate for the style

so

s04- a whitbread yeast, gives a bready flavour with a lactic tang, good for english ales, stouts, etc

US05 - very neutral yeast, accentuates hop flavours so good for american pales, IPAs etc, anywhere you want hops to shine . Doesn't floculate well, very forgiving temp wise

nottingham - fairly neutral, can ferment at low temps (12C I think) if you want, very quick, drops like a rock. Good for big abv beers too

Windsor - more fruity english yeast, low attenuation

There's a bunch of others too, obviously a lot more in liquid form but you will need to make a starter for these.

you can also of course mix them, so if you want a more estery english beer with good attenuation then you could do 50/50 windsor and nottingham for example.

You can also culture up from commercial beers that have been bottle conditioned, although some have different bottling yeasts compared to their primary fermentation strain

Thank you for well explanation
at the moment im totally noob on beer brewing so no preferring

i guess i go with US method see how things turn out.

Have you got a particular style in mind?

US-05 attenuates better, but does not flocculate as well, and is typically very neutral in flavor (does not add a lot to the flavor profile).

S-04 attenuates a bit less, flocculates very well, and adds a little bit of "English" ester to the flavor profile (a bit of apple/pear fruity aldehydes)

Amongst dry yeasts, and generally speaking, US-05 would be a top choice for American Pale Ales, American IPA's, and such; while S-04 would be a good choice for English style Ales, and for your darker beers (porters, stouts).

wow so much help in short amount of time BIG THANKS guys you are ROCK :rockin:

to be honest i'm noob on beer brewing i guess i go first for easy american style see how it turn out.

thanks & i post my nabish first brew :D

Hi Amin, I think I remember from a previous post of yours that you've done wine making before and that you live in a country where consuming and making alcohol is illegal, is that correct? If so, I just want to commiserate with you about how much that stinks, but also to urge you to be cautious.

Yeast is an important factor that differentiates American, English, Belgian, Irish, Scottish etc. style ales. While the malt and hop choices play a big part as well, yeast is a big factor. Like others have said, US-05 is a lot cleaner and neutral, while S04 will be a bit estery/fruity. You could brew the same recipe on different occasions and use different yeasts each time and will have slightly different flavors with each beer. If you're looking to brew american style ales, then US-05 is my recommendation. I've heard Nottingham is great too, but I don't have any experience with it.

Which yeast strain to use depends on the style you want to brew
https://byo.com/resources/yeast

ABV depends on your OG. More sugars, more alcohol. You can adjust it to the style or your liking by using more base malt/extract.

While this is basically true, I've found differences in ABV with different yeasts. According to Beersmith2, using the same IIPA recipe I designed, S-04 gives an ABV of 8.9%. While US-05 gives 9.4%. Not all yeasts attenuate the same. I don't get fruity esters from S-04. But it does lend itself well to English style ales like my ESB. Good malty/hop balance with that crispness on the back if fermented in the mid-60's. US-05 is clean up to about 78F for me. Good for hop flavors as stated, but is low to medium flocculation. Cooper's ale yeast in the bigger 15g packets is high flocculation & a beast when rehydrated. It gives non-descript fruity esters in my opinion. Great for English, Australian or NZ ales from my experiences.

Yup it sux they just arrested over 130 peoples in last week to having party and some drinks with them :smack:
how stupid is that....:(

one more thing while u said that i heard brewing beer make lots of smell i dont like other neighbors notice what im doing i is that true?
still need my life :cross:

Hi Amin, I think I remember from a previous post of yours that you've done wine making before and that you live in a country where consuming and making alcohol is illegal, is that correct? If so, I just want to commiserate with you about how much that stinks, but also to urge you to be cautious.

cool information too bad that yeast not available in where i live

While this is basically true, I've found differences in ABV with different yeasts. According to Beersmith2, using the same IIPA recipe I designed, S-04 gives an ABV of 8.9%. While US-05 gives 9.4%. Not all yeasts attenuate the same. I don't get fruity esters from S-04. But it does lend itself well to English style ales like my ESB. Good malty/hop balance with that crispness on the back if fermented in the mid-60's. US-05 is clean up to about 78F for me. Good for hop flavors as stated, but is low to medium flocculation. Cooper's ale yeast in the bigger 15g packets is high flocculation & a beast when rehydrated. It gives non-descript fruity esters in my opinion. Great for English, Australian or NZ ales from my experiences.

US-05 is clean up to about 78F for me.

Wow. Bad info. If you ferment US05 at. 78 you will get rocket fuel. Call NASA and see if they want some because it will taste very hot and give you headaches.

Wow. Bad info. If you ferment US05 at. 78 you will get rocket fuel. Call NASA and see if they want some because it will taste very hot and give you headaches.

I'll have to double-check all my notes, but that doesn't happen to mine. not to where it's noticeable, anyway. Depends on your personal situation & Process it seems. Also the length of time it's at a given temp versus yeast health & amount of pitch in regard to the wort temp at pitch time. None had that hot alcohol taste or gave me headaches. I'm not recommending it by any means, but temporary spikes won't cause that much harm from a healthy pitch.

I don't think your neighbors will be able to smell any fermentation. More smells are present during the boil but that's only about an hour or so. My house always smells delicious after a brew in the morning. Usually gone by the evening though. Open some widows and it would clear even faster.

Best of luck with sourcing all your ingredients. I wish you every success in your endeavors.

I'm not recommending it by any means, but temporary spikes won't cause that much harm from a healthy pitch.

Make up your mind. You did recommend it in your previous post. 78 is way to hot. Giving that information to a noob is not good advice. If they take that to mean 78 ambient then it is doubly bad, since fermentation will create a lot more heat.

Yup it sux they just arrested over 130 peoples in last week to having party and some drinks with them :smack:
how stupid is that....:(

one more thing while u said that i heard brewing beer make lots of smell i dont like other neighbors notice what im doing i is that true?
still need my life :cross:

During the boiling portion of brewing, odors are quite strong. I don't think its a bad odor, but its very noticeable. Much more so than wine making, where there is no boiling.

The fermentation odors of beer making are about the same as winemaking - there can be some sulphur and other unpleasant odors.

Stay safe. If that means not brewing, your safety is more important than beer.

I brew on my stovetop and for about 2 days after brewday my house sells like...well, a brewery :)

I love the smell of fermenation. It's not an overpowering smell that fills the whole house..I put my carboys in the 2nd bedroom or in the basement. If I close the door in the 2nd bedroom, it can sort of smell when I open the door again, but in the basement it doesn't smell at all unless you put your nose right up to the airlock and sniff (which I do quite often.)

thanks guys. i try to be safe anyway i can

well i bought 2 patch of s-05 & the dude i bought from it has S-33 he said its good for wheat beer. i got that one 2

well with price of $10 each :cross: well what can he is the only one selling it so he can sell it any price he want darn government ....

anyway i made 1 gallon batch so test it, and as you mentioned yeah even with this small ones my whole room smell like beer already :p

and as matter of S-33 hmm what can i say its super fast started didn't even take 10 mins to start rumbling my demijohn with tons of bubbles!

i send some pics later, while looking for a way to lower boiling smell for real batch later

thanks and cheers

At that price you certainly need to learn to ranch, harvest, and store yeast.

If you pitched a whole sachet (11.5 gr) of dry yeast in a gallon of wort, you got some good yeast there for the next batch and beyond. Yeast can be reused provided you use excellent sanitation practices.

Great information thanks, well as i stated most yeast packs not available where i live, i lay my hands on S-05 & S-33 with price of $10 :cross:

anyway i rehydrate s-05 and add it as test to my 1gallon batch test last nite its kinda odd compare to other yeast i used before it devour sugar in speed of light! from what i seeing in airlock! and one more thing i see is not much foam in top!

and not very cloudiness like normal yeast kinda interesting .....

At that price you certainly need to learn to ranch, harvest, and store yeast.

If you pitched a whole sachet (11.5 gr) of dry yeast in a gallon of wort, you got some good yeast there for the next batch and beyond. Yeast can be reused provided you use excellent sanitation practices.

yup that's the plan, i use harvesting yeast with wine before , but i'm not sure with beer how to clean up yeast from wort remnants i be happy to get any information on that or link i can read more information.

yup that's the plan, i use harvesting yeast with wine before , but i'm not sure with beer how to clean up yeast from wort remnants i be happy to get on that or link i can read more information.

Don't worry about some trub (wort remnants) mixed in the yeast. If it's a real lot, you can "wash" the yeast.

The simplest method:
After racking the beer off the yeast, swirl and pour the yeast slurry into a small sanitized jar or distribute over several small jars. Cap well and store in refrigerator (do not freeze).

Any (small) jar will do, like small "Mason" jars (canning jars) or jam and jelly jars. 50-200ml or thereabout is a good size. You don't want a huge amount of air sitting on top of 1/4 inch of slurry. As long as you can keep them sanitary you can reuse the yeast. Let the jar warm up before you pitch.

Again good sanitation and some common sense is the key.

You can look up yeast washing, yeast ranching and yeast harvesting for additional information and techniques. Each time you brew you get more yeast.

Q: How much slurry do you need to pitch?
A: Mr. Malty.com

Please be careful and safe.

I think harvesting Safale US-04 and US-05 are two of the best yeasts you can save. My rule of thumb is 5 for APA, IPA or beers about at the "hop spectrum" of Sam Adams Boston Ale, while I'd use 04 for darker beers like a stout or porter.

Don't worry about some trub (wort remnants) mixed in the yeast. If it's a real lot, you can "wash" the yeast.

Q: How much slurry do you need to pitch?
A: Mr. Malty.com

Please be careful and safe.

thanks for the link and info i found some link for washing yeast today gonna use it.

thanks and hopefully i can save some good yeasts

oh by the way here is pic or my wort at the moment 5111359faeb6734efa19fa3009f41816fa7a188a2e84a1a6c977705448400a9d.0.jpg

even i over pitched it i don't see foam on top of it but its working fast as far as i can see

I think harvesting Safale US-04 and US-05 are two of the best yeasts you can save. My rule of thumb is 5 for APA, IPA or beers about at the "hop spectrum" of Sam Adams Boston Ale, while I'd use 04 for darker beers like a stout or porter.

thanks well found so far S-05 & S-33 plan is to harvest them if i find S-04 sure love to do that 2 :rockin:

thanks for the link and info i found some link for washing yeast today gonna use it.

thanks and hopefully i can save some good yeasts

oh by the way here is pic or my wort at the moment View attachment 251534

even i over pitched it i don't see foam on top of it but its working fast as far as i can see

She looks good. That jug is very full, keep an eye on her, once she takes off she may blow the airlock out. Cooler temps slow down the fermentation and may help to prevent that from happening.

yup watching it, did miscalculate the size of worth hopefully it don't blow my airlock

keep you posted how it turn out after yeast finished their sugar rush lol

hmm found a way to make dry yeast gonna harvest part of my yeast cake after fermentation of my beer is done if it works i post an article maybe help some peoples like me having hard time to find yeasts

update:
well bubbling slowed down quiet bit i guess its almost done, gonna wait till friday to test it out.

just look @ bottom of my jug i see darkish yeast cake i hope i can clean it up for next use i wonder if i any good way to actually wash off the pigments from white yeast cells

Normally, the lighter colored yeast sits on top of the darker colored trub. Sometimes some trub settles on top of the yeast layer as well.

hmm ok means i can't fully separate them i should ranch some of it before add it to my actual brew :cross: oh well learn from my mistake hehe still i hope it turn out well i mean my first beer batch just few more days.

all i can say brewing make me more patience person than i was before lol

I & some others have done articles on yeast washing to separate the trub from the lighter colored yeast. Check them out...:mug:

woah my beer turned out quiet powerful one it taste very good, lol but maybe too strong for beer abotu 11% abv i post pic as soon as i can if dont drink it before manage to take pic hehe thanks everyone for great help :D

well bad news its already finished before i even take a picture lol :D , i guess im off for next batch tomorrow!
by the way unionrdr i used your method to wash yeast, and mixed it with method i found online to make dry yeast well

here is result look like so far funny part is even yeast cake smell like beer lol

yeast_cake.jpg

Back